We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai in 2 days

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland. Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai in 2 days

I will be staying in shanghai for 2 days. Can anyone recommend a tour guide and a comfortable hotel in a good location. Would love to see the Jewish quarter, the Bund and do some shopping.Anything else I should not miss?

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

I returned yesterday from Shanghai. We had no trouble getting around so don't worry about a tour guide. I don't know what sort of shopping you are intending to do but we went to the market and found that the goods were very cheap but not great quality. We still had fun though and my 12 year old daughter stocked up on handbags and trainers. We had 4 days in Shanghai and are now absolutely exhausted!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

I'll be happy to take you around when you're here. I'm studying in Shanghai and I've shown around plenty of travellers in my free time. What's your budget for the hotel? Don't miss the Yuyuan Bazaar (and the famous Nanxiang xiaolongbao there) and the French Concession.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

I visited the former Jewsish synagogue in Shanghai, and spoke with a man who was a child when it was in use. He was hard to understand, but it was very interesting (they expect a kind of large donation, maybe 50 yuan a person, but I think it was worth it.)

The Jewish history of Shanghai is quite intersting, but not all that obvious. I heard a talk on the subject by author and Shanghai resident Tess Johnson. If you are really interested, I would look into a tour. I can't really recommend one, but I see there is a Shanghai Jewish Center that runs tours (as well as services for current Jewish residents of Shanghai).

Portland. Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

Ollie, thanks for the info..what in the world are "trainers"? Is it advisable to stay close to nanking Rd..? As I said, we only have 2 short days and I want to spend as little tiime as possible trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B..no tour guide, huh? Thanks again!

Portland. Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

as far as a budget goes, I am thinking about $200 for 2 people. Do the quoted hotel rates include breakfast? they do in Europe but not in the US. Ellyse, are you going to have time over Thanksgiving?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

Is Thanksgiving on 24/11 this year? If it is, I'm afraid I'll be out of town, so I won't be able to show you around. :( I should be out from 23-29/11.

Is that 200 USD, or 200 RMB? I'll still be happy to help you find a suitable hotel though, no worries about that.

Trainers are sport shoes.

Portland. Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

ellyse..you sure are busy on this site!! I booked at the Hotel Sofitel from nov. 21-24. Seems like the location and internet price is good. How about your cabbie for a ride from the airport? i see that grayline also offers shuttles. thanks for helping all of us Shanghai travelers!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

I assume you're talking about the Sofitel Hyland on Nanjing Lu pedestrian street and not the Sofitel in Pudong? The Sofitel Hyland is only about 5 mins walk from the Henan Zhonglu metro station so it's a pretty good choice, yes. :) Congrats! Just curious, how much did you get it for?

Could you please email me at ellyseATyahoo.com (replace AT with @ cos it's only to stop spammers, thanks) regarding the airport pick-up? I'd like to keep the details and correspondence on email so that I don't mess up anything! :) Thanks.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

Sorry to hear you booked the Sofitel, not a good choice.

Central Hotel across the road would be better,or two or 3 others.

If your American, Sofitel definitely not what you would be expecting in service and cleanliness for the price you pay.

Portland. Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai in 2 days

Gee, Bund, why did you bot tell me that before I booked.