We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes

Hi,

I'm going to Shanghai for the first time in November. I have previously traveled to Taiwan and Thailand. I am very afraid of snakes and I encountered live snakes on display at restaurants serving snake in both countries (although in recent trip to Taiwan I have not seen any and locals have told me that snake meat is no longer popular).

I have gotten 3 guide books and read them cover to cover before my trip to Shanghai and they all indicate that snake meat, while not common, can be found in Shanghai. My friend, whom I'll be staying with, lives in an expat area and says that live snakes are for sale at the wet market near his apartment.

I'm just wondering how much snake is in Shanghai. Is it common to find snakes in supermarkets, wet markets, or night markets? In Thailand they were everywhere (although not always as food, just seemed a lot of people had pet snakes in that country) and in Taiwan it was only two restaurants (unfortunately, both close to where I was staying).

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes

Bombardon3,

I would ask your friend who will say that snakes are not to be found in Shanghai except in the mentioned markets. You will also find lots of eel as food in Shanghai.

My suggestion: if snakes are a phobia, then avoid the those markets. Go to the antique markets instead. I see more people with boa constrictors in Miami Beach than live snakes in Shanghai.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes

When are you going? I am going Nov 2 - 6.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes

Ahh...just got home Oct. 8, back again soon, but not until after the New Year.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes

I'll be there Nov. 17-30.

Glad to hear this won't be too big of a problem. Too many episodes of No Reservations and Bizarre Foods probably added to my worries :)

It's a longish trip so I will probably have to make a market run at some point, but hopefully my friend can steer me clear of the snake vendors.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
543 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes

Hi,bombardon3,

Don't worry for snake. I stay in Shanghai for 10 years' and never eat snakes .

But i have to say you have numerous Chinese delicious food to experience. Pls don't miss it.

Enjoy!

Yours sincerely,

Susan Zheng

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes

Not widely available, don't worry.

7. Re: Snakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 12, 2009