We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Asia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Hi,

I plan to go to Shanghai in December, somewhere in Christmas. I wonder how's the weather like then.

Will be taking the whole family there. Just wonder whether it is safe to travel on our own? Or is it better to join a tour agency and just follow the planned itenery?

I hope some kind local expert can advise me on this. My thanks in advance to whoever respond.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Belany

Shanghai
Level Contributor
543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Hi,Belanyong,

1-Normally it is cold here (under 5degrees normally) during Christmas period. You need to take thick clothes or buy it in Shanghai.

2-Here it is safe if you travel by your own. Don't worry for this.

If you DIY your itinerary for your family, you can enjoy more instead of big tour group.

Btw, if you decide to do by yourself, pls make sure to do some preparations include learning basic Chinese history /culture / little language .

Enjoy!

Yours sincerely,

Susan Zheng

Asia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Hi Susan Zheng,

Thanks for your most useful reply. I'm not sure if it is a right choice to travel during that period of time. By the way will there be many tourists in December?

Please advise on places to visit and things to do in Shanghai.

What about shopping there? I heard about bargaining how much (%) to press down on the price?

Please do give me some idea on the local cuisine not to be missed.

What is the best souvenir to bring back from Shanghai ?

Can't wait to see Shanghai!

Thank you & regards,

Belanyong

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Hi Belany,

Welcome to TripAdvisor Forums. There is a great feature here at the upper right hand corner, the forum search function. You can get instant answers to your questions from literally hundreds of tourists, residents and tour guides. All have their unique perspectives. So go to the Shanghai Forum and search on "family," "tours," "family fun," and similar.

It will not be particularly busy in December, weather will be cool and sometimes raw. Christmas is not an official holiday, and New Year's Day is. Shanghai has lots of outdoor sites, Yu Yuan Gardens, walking tours through the French Concession, the water cities outside of Shanghai proper, and so forth. So dress warmly to enjoy.

Pick up a good guide or two and read the practical information about currency, common scams, the subway system, where to arrive and depart, etc. Shanghai is a terrific place to visit and spend time and is perfectly safe as long as you observe some good common sense.

For those who want to experience centuries of Chinese culture in one place, I highly recommend the Shanghai Museum. It has one of the finest collections on China, including such varied objects as coins and currency, furniture, porcelain, art and calligraphy, bronze, minority lifestyles and costumes, and jade. Admission is just 20 yuan, one of the cheapest tourist sites you will find in the entire country. There also is a nice Museum Store where you can pick up some moderately priced classy souvenirs.

Asia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Hi, SoBeSparky,

Thank you so much on the additional tips.

Some friends used their credit cards in China and after they came home for some time they found their credit cards being cloned.

Wonder whether carrying cash or credit card is better?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Belany

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

Yes, generally safe to travel on your own. Watch out for scammers and pickpockets; and also for traffic whenver you're crossing roads! Green man for you doesn't necessarily mean no traffic coming at you!

Not too many travellers in December, generally.

Please go read a guidebook or do an online search for information about Shanghai's sights, food and etc. There's a reason why all that information is already printed and readily available.

Shanghainese xiaolongbao is famous; so is the red-braised pork (hong shao rou).

Cash is better, China is still predominantly a cash society.

6. Re: How's the weather around Christmas in Shanghai???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 11, 2009