We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghi currency

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
2 posts
Save Topic
Shanghi currency

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me where I can get a conversion for shanghi dollars to gbp? please tried normal convertors its not listed !

Thanks

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghi currency

Sorry. There are no Shanghai dollars. There is the yuan, which is the currency of all China. Try xe.com for up-to-date exchange rate tables.

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghi currency

Thanks for the quick reply

The reason I asked was this was the currency that was used for a quote for a shipment to the uk seemed odd??

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghi currency

Goodness what's that hare-brained company? There're definitely no Shanghai dollars or any currency specific to Shanghai, all of mainland China operates on the RMB (RenMinBi).

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghi currency

I had always thought that chinese money was Yen, but what is RMB called locally?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghi currency

Chinese currency is called RMB. The unit of RMB is the yuan.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghi currency

Yen is the Japanese currency. The Chinese currency is the RMB (as explained above, Ren Min Bi) which means People's Currency.

The unit of measurement for the RMB is the yuan, sometimes called kuai in speech.

RMB is to USD as "yuan" is to "dollar" as "kuai" is to "bucks". Note that "yuan" and "kuai" do not have plural form, only singular.

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghi currency

so what does 400 RMB mean as to USA conversian rate?

thanks,

babo

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghi currency

Unless you're dealing with large amounts of money, the standard exchange rate of (approximately) 8 yuan to the US dollar is close enough. So 400 yuan is 50 dollars.

For a site with exchange rates for all world currencies, go to xe.com.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghi currency

If I have a calculator (my handphone has a calculator function) I use the rate of 7.7 or 7.5 RMB to 1 USD. I use 8 RMB to 1 USD when doing mental estimates.

http://www.xe.com is a good site for currency exchange rates.

10. Re: Shanghi currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 07, 2009