We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the tourist tunnel?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
What is the tourist tunnel?

I have read about it on many posts but am not sure what it is, acn anyone explain please; Also is there an admission cost to it? thanks

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the tourist tunnel?

does anyone know what the tunnel is? has anybody been?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the tourist tunnel?

A gaudy, over-the-top, light-show electric cart/train ride under the Huangpu River. It takes you from Pudong to the Bund, or vice versa. At each end you will find throngs of youth playing electronics games. They are not in the paid tunnel, merely using the machines before you enter. Go through that mess and you will see the ticket counter. It is a bit overpriced, but still an experience if you have to get from one side to the other anyway. Say you want to walk from the Bund to the Pearl TV tower. Take the tunnel one way, and then a taxi or the subway back. My guide book says I paid 30Y per person one way for the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the tourist tunnel?

Sparky - many thanks for that; I think I will have to cross the river often during my stay so I think I will try it once, and then find alternatives.

Once again, thanks for the reply, Josh.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the tourist tunnel?

I love it - it is so over the top but hey its a lot quicker than taxis!!WE laughed the whole time.