We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Hotels

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advise on Hotels

We are planning to stay in Chengdu beween July 8-12 and go to Shanghai from 12-16. We may come to Shanghai a day earlier if Chengdu does not turn out exciting. Since we have a four-year old traveling with us, we prefer to stay in a place where there are a lot of attractions we can just walk to (e.g.,the Bund). Any recommendations on hotels? We can spend up to US dollar $250. The travel advisors rank Le Royal Meridien very highly. Would anyone recommend it? Any other alternatives we should look at? Any recommendations on where to go and what to see with a four-year old in Chengdu and Shanghai? Thanks!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Hotels

Yes, Le Royal Meridien is certainly a good choice. Radisson New World, JW Marriott, Central Hotel and Howard Johnson Plaza would also be good choices.

Chengdu: Definitely the Chengdu Panda Reserve.

Shanghai: Try the aquarium in Pudong.

Ann Arbor, MI
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Hotels

Ellyse, Thanks a lot. I am sure our 4-year old would love to see the panda and go to the aquarium. I will do some comparison shopping among the hotels you recommended. Will report back to the forum when I am back.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Hotels

I would also advise you to have a look at travelforkids.com/Funtodo/China/shanghai.htm for more suggestions of kid-friendly stuff in Shanghai.

Feel free to PM/email me if you need any other help, I'm studying in Shanghai and have travelled extensively throughout mainland China.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,487 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Hotels

The Shanghai aquarium is an excellent recommendation Ellyse. I think the four-year old will have a wonderful time. The Bund, to me, is not much, as I have lived and vacationed on urban waterfronts my entire life. Yes, it is nice to walk and watch. But I would not put it on my top 20 things not to miss in China. I would think Yu Yuan Gardens, with plenty of things to climb and smaller scale things, would be nice too.

An out of the way place with a great garden and wonderful old buildings is the Confucius Temple in Shanghai.

All the kids are around the ground fountain in Renmin Square. Dress yours to get wet, as water jets shoot from the ground, up to 10 and 20 feet. The kids have a ball. Even I like to watch them. ;-)

Ann Arbor, MI
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on Hotels

This is great. The website posted by Ellyse is great too. Now I have a lot of ideas for travelling with a 4-year-old in China. (We will be in Beijing for 4-5 days also and have decided to stay in the North Garden hotel with friends. This website will help us to plan our stay there.) I am more and more convinced it is better for us to stay closer to People's square. I appreciate all the help given in this forum!

6. Re: Advise on Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 03, 2009