We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

pickpocketers

8 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

I imagine they are quite good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

You need to take precautions. Its mostly in big cities and especially in heavily tourist areas. So cities like Shanghai you need to be really careful about when on Nanjing road etc. It happens frequently enough where you must take precautions, but it doesn't feel like its on the level of some cities in Europe where its totally out of control.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,088 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

We did not have any issues. it's a big city so take care as you would in a big city anywhere.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

I have visited Shanghai 4-5 times, never happened to me, but I can imagine there must be many, so be cautious.

Back in late March in Guangzhou, I was on very busy Shangxiaju pedestrian shopping street, a team of 3 pickpockets gathered around me, 2 behind me and moving very close inches from me, 1 detached lookout; my colleagues walking 5 steps away noticed it and rapidly moved up to me and the 2 thieves, within second they spotted it and moved away. We are 3 big guys over 6’ tall. I didn’t know it until it was over.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,256 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

This is not a big issue in Shanghai. But any big city where you have a lot of tourists, you need to be careful.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

They must be pretty bad, because in a total of more than 5 years in Shanghai they failed to pickpocket me even once. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

Haha, the same here, not only for me, but also for everyone I know. They must be very, very bad.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai

Pickpocketing in the big cities in China is very common. Like in most of the big cities world wide. Luckily is is not extremely bad, as it is in some cities in the world. It is not only limited to tourist sites. I have heard of situations where cell phones were snatched of a table when people were eating.

It is more like: Opportunity makes the thief. So be careful with your belongings, and keep them safe.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: how bad are the pickpocketers in shanghai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted