We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
1 post
Save Topic
Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

There are a number of choices or ailing carriers from Seattle to Shanghai: United, China Air, Korean Air, etc.

Any recommendations for the most comfortable coach flight and best service? Any tips on upgrades?

Thanks!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

I have not flown all those airlines, but I always fly United to Beijing and will be flying to Shanghai in April on United. I like United, you can purchase an economy plus membership for $299.00 and for the whole year, you can book economy plus seats which gives you up to an extra 5 inches of leg room for two people. I found their schedule to be convenient and they have direct flights.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

If you like cocktails, pick a foreign airline as you have to pay for them on AA, and United. I've taken JAL and Air Nippon , but by far the best is Cathay Pacific.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

I've only flown ANA from Shanghai to US (which was excellent) but includes a stopover in Tokyo. Service cannot be faulted, as with any Japanese airline.

From MANY people I've spoken to here in China, United is to be avoided at all costs (except if the final decision came down to cost and they were considerably less I suppose).

But from what I'm told (don't kill the messenger!), the flight staff are rude, the legroom is much less (check seatguru.com), there is no seat-back entertainment and they would all avoid it like the plague if they could.

Also be careful about codeshares - you could end up on a United plane if you have I think, an Air China ticket (not entirely sure it is Air China, could be one of the other chinese carriers).

All the best for your trip.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

I have flown just about every carrier you can think of to Shanghai and Asiana has been consistently good, both price wise and service wise. I fly out of LAX not Seattle.

I had problems with JAL, they argued with me endlessly about carry on luggage even though my luggage easily fit within their limits. They were confused about visas having to dig through reference books to find pictures and information. Oddly for a flight to the US no one at their check-in counter spoke English including the manger.

I flew China Eastern and the bathrooms stopped working. Need I say more?

ANA was good, but the flight required an over night layover in Osaka which was fine for me as I had plenty of time, but may not work for others.

Cathay Pacific has always been great and is my Number 1 favorite.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,873 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

that's the general trend. US airlines are bad, but at least they are safe and things work. Chinese ones are the worst. Taiwanese flag carrier is not known for safety, though the other one is good. Other major Asian ones are the best, especially those from places where they can fire attendents due to age, appearance, etc :)

6. Re: Best airline to fly to Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 29, 2009