We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours....

Hi!!!

We will be stopping in Shanghai on our way to the US, as a connection with China Eastern airlines. We will be arriving in Shanghai at 7 pm, and leaving the next day at 3.30 pm. We are being put up at a hotel near the airport. We are also doing the same thing on the way back from the US to Australia.

Does anyone think that we will have the chance to see anything in Shanghai?? Possibly markets, or tourist attractions in the morning???

If so, please help me with suggestions, as well as the best way to get to them.

Also, has anyone flown with China Eastern before???Can you please tell me what it will be like?? And also will, we have any language problems because we dont speak chinese??

Thanks for any help!!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: 24 hours....

Ok sorry... which one in which month?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 24 hours....

Hi Steph,

I'll try and answer the language question for you - the answer is probably, yes, you will encounter some language problems. The trick is to be prepared.

You'll find that people will speak English at hotels, info desks etc. But where you will probably hit problems is with things like taxis, shops etc. You need to have printed out everywhere you decide to go in Chinese, so you can give it to the taxi driver (and don't forget the one to take you back to Pudong airport!). If you go to markets etc, chances are most people won't speak English, but that's all manageable as they have calculators to show you the price. If you are really stuck your best bet is to look around for someone who looks between about 15 and 25 - there's a good chance they'll have enough English to help you.

China Eastern. Well, you're a brave girl ... But seriously, I took a trip home to Melbourne with them a couple of years ago and it was the worst flight I have ever had in my whole life. Food was terrible, people talked all night (it was an overnight flight) and the toilets were disgusting. However, I recently went to Beijing with them, and they had improved dramatically. So hopefully that's the case with their international flights now too. Just try and book your seats before you go and be away from the toilets, cos I find they become meeting areas on flights to and from China more so than on other flights elsewhere.

Enjoy your trip.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 24 hours....

Ok assuming 1940--1455 in June, and 1815--1820 in September. Do you really have to stay near the airport?! That's eons away from everything.

June:

You basically won't really be able to do anything that night after you check in, unless you don't mind a long taxi ride to perhaps Xintiandi for some dinner, picture-taking and nightlife. Alternatively go to Cloud 9 bar in Grand Hyatt (87th floor of Jinmao Tower, Pudong) with a shorter taxi ride for some drinks and bird's-eye view of the city. Wake up early the next morning and go to Riverside Promenade for a view of the Bund, then Shanghai Municipal History Museum (if you have time), and then an early lunch at Pudong's Super Brand Mall (with a view of the Bund) before going back to the hotel to pick-up your luggage and go back to Pudong airport. You'll need to check-in around 1255 for a flight departing at 1455.

September:

Deposit your luggage at Pudong airport so that you don't have to pick it up at the hotel on the next day. After you check-in to your hotel, take a taxi to People's Square and walk down Nanjing Lu pedestrian street to the Bund. Dinner on the Bund is most possibly out of your range unless you don't mind splurging a lot of money for that. Instead go to Heaven on Earth on Jiujiang Lu (one street south of and parallel to Nanjing Lu pedestrian street) for a yummy dinner of improved Chinese cuisine with no MSG. After that, take a taxi to Tongren Lu (or Xintiandi, if you missed it the 1st time round) for some nightlife. Next morning, wake up early and go to Yuyuan Gardens. Be at the original Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant in Yuyuan Bazaar (just outside the Yuyuan Gardens) at 1030 for tasty Nanxiang xiaolongbao and Shanghainese dimsum for brunch -- go upstairs and to the innermost section for the best and widest variety. After that spend some time walking around the Old City area, walk to the Bund if you're up for a walk, or take a taxi. If you still have time (around 2 hours), go to Shanghai Museum at People's Square or take a walk in the French Concession. Get to metro line 2 and take a ride to Longyang Lu metro stop, from where you can change to the Maglev (7+ mins journey time, up to 20 mins waiting time) to get to Pudong airport. You'll need to check-in at 1620 for a flight departing at 1820.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 24 hours....

Thank you!

Ellyse, you are correct with the months and times. Unfortunately, I dont think I get a choice of hotels, because the airline is paying for it as part of our flight stop over. Apparently they have a couple of specific hotels that they use - Im not sure which one I'll be at.

I googled all those places you suggested, and I think it sounds fantastic! Hopefully we will be able to fit it all in!!

And I will definetely organise to have a seat on the plane away from the toilets if I can!!

15. Re: 24 hours....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 28, 2009