We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi time

australia
8 posts
Save Topic
taxi time

can somone tell me how long it takes in a taxi from the 2 main airports to the heart of shanghai? and the same in beijing. thank you.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi time

from pudong airport to people's square is 1.5 hours, if my memory is right :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi time

From shanghai Pudong airport, it will take 45min to 1.30h, depends on the traffic.

From Beijing In'l airport, it will take 30min - 45min to Central zone.

Aussie living in...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi time

Most int flights from Australian come into Pudong and 45mins to an hour depending on time of day and traffic.

But a great thing to exp is the Mag Lev train, plenty of signs from airport, 50Y one way or show your boarding pass for 40Y, travels 430 top speed, 30kms long. (7Mins) It doesnt take you right into the CBD but a taxi or subway can go the rest of the way. Taxi will cost about 140Y/RMB. One aussie $ will get you about 5.5Y/RMB.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi time

Shanghai Pudong to downtown Shanghai about 40-120 mins depending on time of day, traffic and weather conditions.

Shanghai Hongqiao to downtown Shanghai about 30-60 mins depending on the same conditions above PLUS the amount of people in the taxi line. I do the smart thing now and either call my regular cabbie in advance or take the airport shuttle. Not nice standing in line for 1 hour or more!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi time

Are there airport shuttle counters in airport or should I contact my hotel to set it up?

Thanks

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi time

Becky_B, yes there're airport shuttle counters. However, what hotel are you staying at? From your other post, you seem to be arriving in the afternoon.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi time

Thanks

I arrive around 3:00 PM - assume there is same "rush hour " problem as everywhere. Husband does't want to deal with Maglev & metro when so tired and jetlagged.

Starwood says their hotels have complimentary shuttles. Hotel says no and wants $65.00+ for car-which I do not want to do.

I had no problem on recent first trip to Japan using train and metro to hotel - and very litlle english out side of airport and hotel but I guess taxi will be reasonalble compromise.

Becky_B

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi time

Which hotel are you at??

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi time

mick4922,

check this out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Maglev_Train

gotta love technology.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi time

I'de go with the Maglev/taxi option. The ride is a tourist experience in itself.The metro is a little confusing coming off a long flight, plus you need to know the nearest station to your hotel. To get to the maglev, turn right as you come in to the arrivals hall. Take the escalator in front of you up to the mezzanine floor and follow the maglev signs. It's about a five minute walk and no crowds. Taxi rank is outside the station and policed to prevent rogue drivers and queue jumping.