We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Is 7 nights too long to stay on an island resort? I was thinking of staying at Nanuya Island resort, Botaira resort or Octopus resort. Are these good places to stay at? I have read good things on these but i did read a few bad things about Octopus resort on another site about bad management.

I am going with my boyfriend and we want to be able to relax, good snorkelling, good food and clean, comfortable accomodations. Also what are the beaches like at these places? We want the kind where the sand is white and the water blue and clear.

I would appreciate honest opinions. Thank you in advance!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Charley 48. Would you be able to send those photos to me too? Would greatly apreciate it! My adress is strawberrypatch11@yahoo.com.au.

We wouldn't be going to Fiji until next year, probably somewhere between September and November. Don't want to go when it is too hot or the rainy season!

There are so many places to choose. We would definetely love to stay at 2 island resorts. And we will definetely not being staying on the Coral Coast! It has to be an island. I like the sounds of Nanuya Island resort, Oarsmans Bay Lodge, Octopus resort and Botaira resort. We would love to stay in the Yasawas as I have heard it is beautiful!

Has any one done the South Seas cruise to Modriki Island? Where the movie "Castaway" was filmed with Tom hanks. We would like to do that too. Is it worthwhile doing that tour? Doing that tour means having to spend 2 nights in Nadi unfortunately, because of flights and that the cruise goes all day and would have to wait for the Yasawa Flyer the next morning.

THanks for the help!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Hi Accuratl,

We are the same age group and would have done the TuiTai cruise except boat was being re-fitted when we were there in March this year. Whenever you travel in the tropics between Dec - April it is considered rainy (or monsoon) season, and you pray that it doesn't rain too much!

We were actually in Savusavu for 3 days mid March and it poured most of the time. We're used to the tropics, so we just continued on regardless, however, if you can choose to, wait and go after April if possible - less humidity too!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Strawberrypatch - my opinion is to definitely not spend 2 nights in Nadi to see the "Castaway" Island. This island is next door to Matamanoa Island and you could easily visit it from there - there may be other cruises from the Islands that would include Modriki, without having to leave from Nadi. Also, keep a watch out for new resorts opening up within next 12 months. We stayed at Nanuya Island and loved it, but one new one I know of in the Yasawas currently being built is Viwa Island Lodge. I think that it is opening at end of this year. It is not a luxury resort and I think it will be similar-type pricing to Octopus etc.

They already have a website www.viwaislandlodge.com

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

Accuratl: Just re-read your question and here is some more info for you. If you have to travel in March, then yes, the weather out in the Yasawas will probably be better than Vanua Levu/Taveuni. We were staying at Nanuya Island Resort (deluxe beach-front villas) which is the same island as the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon boats anchor in the Blue Lagoon right next door. Most people who write on here love the cruises, and we have not done any of them, however, there does seem to be quite a party atmosphere and a lot of organised beach-side activities happening when the boats anchor. If that suits you, then I am sure you would have a great time. For us, and several couples who wandered down to Nanuya Resort from the Blue Lagoon Cruise Boats, they would have preferred the peace and tranquility of just staying at Nanuya. It is very much a personal thing. The weather on Nanuya beginning of March was hot and humid. Most resorts in Yasawas do not have air-con (all generate their own power).

London
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

This gives info on the Yasawas and a page on Oarsmans Bay - which I loved. Plus info on the Yasawa Flyer catamaran.

http://fijibudget.com/

http://fijibudget.com/oarsmans-bay-lodge.htm

All the reports on Octopus are good - why not split your time between the two resorts ?

http://www.octopusresort.com/

16. Re: How long to stay at an island reosort? Which Island resort...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Yasawa Island