We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Hello dear travelers,

I have a time constraints and I can only visit one of the yasawa islands in next January. Which island do you recommend the most in terms of: Clear water / snorkeling Beaches / Sunset / Hiking or view / accommodation - lodge ...

Initial thoughts, I heard about Kuata with awesomefiji.com - has nice cave swim / summit hike to have 360 degrees view ... etc but I saw some bad feedbacks on Kuata here ...

Thanks so much!

S.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Where did you read the Kuata reviews, there are only about 3 that are not positive. You have a choice of accommodation and it is now run by the same people that have Barefoot Manta which is a great resort. Kuata has all you want.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

I would not say that Kuata is a "standout". It's a small resort on a small island, the beach is on a channel between Kuata and Wayalailai Island and does not face the sunset - but you could easily view sunsets by walking up the hill or around the point.

Do you have a budget in mind? Dorm accommodation or something better? How long are you going for?

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Kuata is on our to go to places for 2016 for the snorkeling especially snorkeling with the reef sharks (harmless). Being small the reef has not suffered much by unthinking people treading on the coral as has happened to the once pristine reefs at some other resorts. Value for money.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Great. Thanks! nice to know. I heard about the cave swim where Blue lagoon movie was shot as well as the hike to summit to have the full ocean view.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Hi there. Thanks TaiMarilyn!

If you think Kuata is not a standout, which is in your view the standout island in Yasawas islands ?

I only have one night to spend then go back to beach comber for one night and head to Nadi.

I heard beachcomber is a party island - is it going to be with nice atmosphere in early January ?

I am flexible with my budget since it's only one night - anything available. I just want to be in a Standout island with the sunset view / great beach / some hike ... etc

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Awesome. I am sure you can enjoy the summit hike and the cave swim as well!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

The cave swim you are referring to is only accessible from the northern Yasawa islands. Kuata is the southernmost island, so you can't do it from there. Because Kuata is a small island the summit hike is not long or even very high. If you have only one night then you will want to cut down your travel time on the Yasawa Flyer, the catamaran that services the route. Check out Octopus Resort which is only a short distance north of Kuata on Waya Island. Good hiking and snorkelling from there, and a great beach for sunsets. You had best get an update on Beachcomber - they have just had a big fire there - but I believe it only destroyed one bure. They should be all ok for January though. If you don't have a particular reason for going to Beachcomber, then you may find thqt 2 days at the resort of your choice would be a better use of your time, otherwise you will lose several hours in bowt transfer between the two.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Great. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Is the (blue lagoon) cave swim accessible from Waya island ?

It makes a lot of sense Waya offers not only nice beaches but also big / high enough to go hiking around.

Sad about beachcomber. I hope they recovered soon! I was there in 2010 for a day trip!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Cave Swim not accessible from Waya. You would have to go further north for that - Blue Lagoon Beach Resort is in the right area - but getting there could cut into your time more - the boat trip leaves from Denarau Marina daily at 8.30am, gets to Octopus around 11am, and to Blue Lagoon around 1pm. Your flight times could also affect your accommodation choice - depending on when you land and your outward flight times, you might have to overnight in Nadi to suit. The Yasawa Flyer gets back to Denarau around 6pm daily. Octopus may give you some more leeway as they have their own boat, leaves Vuda Marina around 10am, complimentary taxi van will pick up from airport around 8.30am, and they can get you back to the airport by mid afternoon. Look at their website and enquire on the link on that.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Which island in Yasawa islands standout?

Great. Thanks so much. Do you know Yasawa Flyer - what time it leaves from Octopus resort / Waya to make it to Denarau by 6 PM ? Looks like the resort boat is more dedicated to get you faster than the yellow boat - since that was uses island hopping so it makes a lot of stops.