We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Air Conditioned Bures

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
543 posts
11 reviews
14 helpful votes
Non Air Conditioned Bures

My husband and I are thinking about spending our vacation at the Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in either a Garden Bure or Beachfront Bure, but are unsure about the lack of air conditioning. We have stayed in some basic accommodations in Moorea and Aitutaki that did not have A/C and found they were pretty sweltering at night - to the point you did not wake up rested because it was just so uncomfortable. Wondering if the positioning of windows in these bures and ceiling fan allow for more air movement and thus a comfortable nights sleep? After a long day of snorkeling and spending time on the beach, it is nice to come back to a room, shower, and feel dry and comfortable for bed.

While I realize it is very remote, we are having a hard time with this aspect considering the price of the resort. I have done some research and it seems like the only way to get A/C in the Yasawa Islands, however, is to spend a LOT more money! :)

I would really love to know thoughts from those who have done this, or frequent visitors. We would be travelling during the middle two weeks of April.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
32 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

There are some rooms with AC at BLBR but they do come with a higher price tag. Beachfront will always be cooler since there is more breeze than further back. Mid April should be okay without AC but if you are really set on it an alternative might be Paradise Cove Resort where all the room types (even the cheapest) have AC.

http://www.paradisecoveresortfiji.com/

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
64 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

We have never had a problem with no aircon there - visit frequently. Even in the Garden villas, the ceiling fans work very well. They have louvred windows (screened on the outside so no risk of bugs coming in) which we leave partly open at night to allow air flow. Windows positioned either side and two on the front wall.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,660 posts
156 reviews
240 helpful votes
3. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

Depends on what time of year you are travelling. We have only stayed in the Beachfront, which to us was more preferable than the garden bures, being on the beach with your own thatched umbrella and sun lounges and were quieter. May to end of October you should be fine without aircon.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
543 posts
11 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

Thanks for the replies.

We will be traveling the middle 2 weeks of April - wanted to go later but our work schedules do not permit unfortunately! Is it typically very humid still by mid April?

We looked at Paradise Cove as well, but I seem to be reading that the shore snorkeling is better from BLBR.

I'll look into the beach bungalows - they are more expensive obviously but look awesome.

If the bathrooms have outdoor showers, how are they connected to the rooms? The louvred windows have screens on them, but is the room open in the back to the open air bathroom??

Thanks again!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

The ceiling fans really help. I had the same concerns when we stayed in October, but out of the 7 nights, only one was hot for me and i'm usually always hot.

What temperature do you usually keep your house at?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
543 posts
11 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

Hi Jacob,

In the summer we usually keep our a/c on at about 73 degrees F, but I also have a fan because I find that the a/c doesn't provide sufficient air movement in our room. So thinking the fact that the bures have ceiling fans and lots of windows will help with the air movement problem.

Did you stay in the garden or beachfront bures? Can you let me know what the layout of the room was like in terms of the outside bathroom connecting with the room (ie: was there a door to access the bathroom which is outside, or is it just an open hallway that leads to the open-air bathroom)?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

We didn't stay at BLBR, but did close by and BLBR is on our list for a return trip. I asked temperature since we keep our house around 74-75 and I was fine most of the time at Navini. It did get hot on a couple afternoons.

I think you'll be okay without AC, but you might have a couple hot nights just due to the weather. If I did it again I would be fine without AC as long as it wasn't during the summer.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
773 posts
77 reviews
66 helpful votes
8. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

I have stayed at Octopus Resort (BLBR sister resort) in March. Yes it was humid but at night the ceiling fan did a great job. We didnt spend any time in our room, always in the pool or at the beach. The ocean breeze at night provided extra air flow.

Octopus has the open roof bathrooms too, there is a connecting door from your room into the bathroom & I would expect it is similar at BLBR.

Its on my bucket list for next year, to stay & go to the caves.

9. Re: Non Air Conditioned Bures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 06, 2016