We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on diving and swimming beaches

seattle
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on diving and swimming beaches

We are planning a 10 day trip to Fiji for my 60th birthday and 30th anniversary in may 2014. Our priorities are all inclusive, diving, swimming beaches and air conditioned bura or villa. Travel agent has recommended Tokoriki, Turtle island and Yasawa island resort. Any opinions on which is the best match for us will be greatly appreciated,

1. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:12 pm, December 01, 2013
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

With 10 days you could split your stay at two resorts for different experiences.

Regular poster, Mitch007 has been to Tokoriki twice, and YIR once. Am sure he will respond with information for you.

May is the end of fall in Fiji, so doubt you will need AC.

Turtle Island, and YIR are all inclusive. Tokoriki is not. Have a look at all the websites for prices, and what is included, what isn't, and other information. Also read the reviews and private message posters with questions.

Coming from the states you will need an adapter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries, etc.

For other suggestions of what to take with you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

seattle
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

Thank you for your reply! I assumed AC would be needed because of heat and humidity and to keep the mosquitos out - so that is very helpful advice! Will the ocean be warm enough for swimming without a wet suit? Tokoriki has a meal plan - which I assumed is all inclusive except for wine, beer etc - or am I misunderstanding what the meal plan is? This is all very good advice, our other concerns are for sandy (not rocky) beaches with easy entry into the water for swimming and frolicking.And most importantly a dedicated dive center with regularly scheduled daily dives, experienced dive masters and a dive boat with tank holders. We have been to another resort in north fiji (october 2011) that advertised diving but they actually only offered dives on request and the tanks just rolled around on the floor of the boat. It was still a great experience but not particularly safe. We are familiar with the costs of each resort but as near 60 year olds - safe diving and safe swimming beaches are more important. I cannot get a feel for the diving offered at the 3 resorts and whether or not the beaches are sandy or rocky. I look forward to hearing more! Thanks!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

You're welcome. Haven't been to any of the resorts, so can't offer first hand information. Would contact them via their websites regarding diving and other questions you may have. YIR is said to have long, soft, white sand beaches. Where ever we go in Fiji, we always check the tides charts before going to insure we can snorkel/swim off the beach mid morning to early afternoon.

By AI thought you meant meals included in the price, not meal plans at an additional cost.

It won't be hot and humid in May. AC will not help with mosquitos. Screened, louvered windows will help keep them out of the bures.

The following has information on weather and water temps.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-s208/Fiji:Wea…

Hopefully, others that have been to the resorts will respond with information for you.

Am sure you will have an amazing vacation whichever resort you decide on.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

Personally I would choose Tokoriki for the diving sites. Bigger variety of dive sites and more to see than in the Yasawas. Lovely resort too.

6. Re: Advice on diving and swimming beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 03, 2014