We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

I will be travelling to Fiji from the 19th to the 28th December as part of my world travels and am planning on spending 8 nights in the Yasawa's. I am a backpacker travelling alone and have decided to stay in the budget resorts of the Yasawa Islands.

I would like some advise first of all on resorts/islands to stay on and secondly a nice place to spend Christmas.

I am planning on staying at 4 different resorts/islands and spending 2 nights on each.

Whilst I am there I would like to see a variety of different Islands and do some snorkelling, kayaking, scuba diving, hiking, visit some villages, and see some beautiful islands and beaches. I am also interested in any trips, activities, sports/adventure activities that are offered.

At the moment I am considering...

--Nacula Island--

Oarsman's Bay Lodge??

--Tevewa Island--

Not sure on which resort - I would like to perhaps to a trip to visit Blue Lagoon beach

--Naviti Island--

Not sure which resort???

--Waya Island-- Octopus resort?? or perhaps...

--Wayasewa-- Wayalailai resort??

I would appreciate any advice anyone has on these or other Islands/resorts and whether they could recommend a good place for Christmas.

Thanks for your help

PortLudlow
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Wonderful time to be in Fiji. The resorts have breakup parties for the staff. Everone is happy and excited to see family members coming back into the villages for X-mas celebrations. Schools are out and the children have returned home.

We spent last X-mas at Oarsmans Bay . The staff sang carols to the guests on X-mas morning and gave out gifts of fresh baked cookies. The beach at Oarsman is awesome!!!!

Octopus is also great .The food is a touch better and the menue is more varied at Octopus. Snorkling is wonderful on the reef right in front of the resort. Be sure to do a village visit at either Oarsmans or Octopus.

If it were me I would stay at two resorts for four nights each. Nucula Island is a goood choice because it's as far as the "yellow boat " Yasawa Flyer will take you. Oarsmans also gives you access to the underwater caves at Sawa- i-lau Island. Octopus is great and Waya Island is lush and beautiful.

Maybe we'll see you there . I hope to spend the Holidays in Fiji this year. A graet tradition to start when you live in the Northern Latitudes.

Hope this helps....

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Perhaps I may spend 3 nights in 2 resorts and then another 2 nights on another.

I was thinking of just booking my first couple of nights and then just seeing what happens. Do you think this will be ok or will I need to book in advance? Do they get full over the Christmas period?

Does anyone else have any advise on any other Islands/resorts?

Thanks

docklands
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Hi I stayed at Oarsman's Bay Lodge for 3 days and had a great time the beach was one of the best in the area lond white sand clean lots of room good swimming and you can hike around the island on quite long walks the resort is owned by local poeple with expat managers there was a choice of beach front rooms a dorm and a camping site which covers all bases the foods good nothing fancy but good with a bar if you feel like it the boat from nadi takes a while but there was lots to look at the blue lagoon is a short boat trip away and you can go into the local village on day trips from the resort the staff where super friendly in a tollay honest way had a great time there

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

It looks like Oarsman's Bay Lodge on Nacula Island and Octopus Resort on Waya Island are definates then.

Can anyone recommend another Island/resort that is different from these two. I was considering Naviti??

Also do you think it will be ok to book the first couple of nights at one resort only and then just hope that the others have space or do you think it would be necessary to book all in advance?

I'm not sure whether it will be cheaper to get a Bula pass or just book the individual boat journey's seperately??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Having just returned from Naviti island I probably wouldnt recommend it... Other people we met on Naviti were disappointed and suggested that resorts such as Octopus and Barefoot Lodge were 100 times better than those on Naviti Island. If you do end up on Naviti I would recommend staying at 'White Sandy Beach Resort' rather than Korovou - we had trouble with staff at Korovou and ended up being overcharged by over $100 with no appologies from any of the management team!

If you go to Tavewa you can easily do trips to the Blue Lagoon. Davids Place accomodation was really cute, food was pretty average. There are lots of other little resorts around that area which all looked pretty good.

I would check out Barefoot Lodge if you get the chance, from what others told me it sounds amazing - we'll be going there next time!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Thanks for your advise.

Which Island is Barefoot Lodge on?

Would you say that Tevewa island is more worth a visit than Naviti?

Can you recommend a resort on Tevewa?

Thanks again

Melbourne
Level Contributor
333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Hi

Barefoot Lodge is on Drawaqa Island which is right next door to Naviti - they offer the same Manta Ray snorkelling trips as Naviti do.

It seems theres very little information about them on the internet which is a shame!

I have a brochure with their phone number in Fiji (679 670 1823) but thats it...

As far as a resort on Tavewa, thats a tricky one. I think the accommodatin was more authetically Fijian at Davids Place but everyone I spoke with seemed to think the food was better at Oto and Fannys which isnt too surprising as it was pretty bad at Davids.

I know its a bit more expensive, but have you looked at Nanuya Island Resort? Their tree top Bure seems to be relatively close in price to some of the Tavewa resorts, and they look much nicer. Nanuya is located on Nanuya Lailai which is opposite Tavewa and is probably closer to the Blue Lagoon area which you want to visit than Tavewa is.

Oarsmans Bay Lodge is on Nacula which is also very close to both Tavewa and Nanuya Lailai - they may well be able to organise trips to the blue lagoon from there also. I have heard great things about their beach, which is apparently better suited to swimming than the main beach on Tavewa is.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

i believe its the "sailing safari" on barefoot island. that is the first thing we did in fiji...oh, so wonderful. the staff was one of the best. then we stayed at oarsman, which has wonderful staff, great bures, good food and lots to do. then we flew to kadavu to matava, cant' say enough about that place...organic garden, wow, the food was good. next time we will try octopus, can't wait. enjoy

Pocatello, Idaho
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

NOT ALL of NAVITI is bad. Just because there are a few bad resorts, doesn't mean they are all bad. I stayed at the Botaira Resort and it was wonderful. The staff are incredibly helpful and so polite as well. The customer always comes first at Botaira. The staff arrive at your dormitory or bure everyday to change the linens and provide you with fresh towels. The food is incredible and a good variety as well. There are snacks, soda, cocktails, water, etc. that can be purchased at the resort at very reasonable prices. Fijian muscians play at every lunch and dinner. Yes, you can drink the water there and yes there is definitely hot water.....some times a little too hot! You can take advantage of the lovely reef snorkeling just right off the beach. All sorts of fish and starfish....just incredible. So much to do as well. YOu really should check it out.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yasawa Islands at Christmas... help please

Relax, nobody has said that all of Naviti is bad! But you are right, it is important to do as much research as possible to separate the good from the bad resorts!

Botaira sounds very nice. It is on a different bit of Naviti to where we stayed, as are both Qereqere Resort and Manuka Bay resort. White Sandy Beach resort was on the bit of beach where we were and also looked ok - a bit smaller than Korovou which would have probably suited us better.