We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

I am planning our honeymoon next year but after reading blogs and a lot of topics on TA forum we are still confused on what to do and where to stay!!

We have a total of 2 weeks excluding travelling time to spend on our honeymoon and were hoping to stay within a budget of Euro 5000 to Euro 6000 inc. flights.

We are based in Malta, Europe. We are not adventurous but 2 weeks simply staying on the beach at the Yasawa Islands I think will become too boring. Apart from few days at the beach, we like to throw in a hike (of an easy type), visiting a typical fiji school, see some waterfall and experience a kava ceremony - does any island in the Yasawas have all these features plus a beautiful beach ? We would also like to possibly visit Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple in Nadi.

To give you an idea - our best holiday was in Cinque Terre, Genova - we did some trekking, we ate well, we visited villages and we went to the beaches.

As regards to accomodation, something that offers a la carte as opposed to buffet would be preferred but is not a must. Also would like to see available options for accomodations catering for adults only but I realise the price may be more expensive so again not a must. Own bathroom is a must though.

I have read that for a beach vacation it is best to visit Fiji between April and early October and we are quite flexible on dates for next year.

I know I may be asking for a lot!! :) Please help us figure this out.

Another alternative we were contemplating was a short cruise of New Zealand and 5 days in the Yasawas with most of these then spent on the beach - is this option feasible??

Looking forward to some expert advice. Thank you so much in advance.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

Have a look at the website for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas. Has all your requirements apart from the waterfall - can't think of any of those in the Yasawas, it's just not wet enough there. But you could do a trip to the caves from there. Great food and a beautiful beach. As to the weather, we've always found the period August to October the most settled.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

Congrats on your wedding and honeymoon :)

Decent budget to work with.

If it was me with 2 weeks I'd spend 7 days at Yasawa Island Resort, 2 days on the mainland, and a few days at Matangi or Qamea.

Yasawas - stunning crystal clear water, brilliant white powder sand beaches, and the caves nearby. YIR is adults only.

Taveuni / Qamea / Matangi - totally different and more of a rainforest feel. Still stunning waters and beaches, but also has hikes and waterfalls in some areas.

Then spend 1 or 2 days on the mainland checking out the Temple, and Garden of the Sleeping Giant.

Or perhaps you could visit the temple on your first day, and then fly out in afternoon to Yasawa Island Resort. YIR plane departs around midday so you might be able to interconnect with a later flight that same day to Taveuni (maybe).

But that possibly will be in your budget if you get good deals, and would be a stunning honeymoon.

I normally go Sep-early Nov to Fiji.

The picture in my avatar is of Champagne Beach (a deserted beach which you can picnic on with just you and your partner), via Yasawa Island Resorts private beach picnics (included in your tarriff).

Edited: 7:03 am, August 19, 2013
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

thank you Mitch007, I liked Taveuni but have read that it rains 365 days a year - is this so? Also Taveuni seems bit far from Yasawa if we were to start from the mainland then head to Taveuni and over to Yasawas how much would a plane ride cost approximately ?? I was considering to travel from mainland to Yasawa by boat, we wouldnt mind the 4hr boat ride.

thank you so much once again

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

thanks TaiMarilyn - so you would stay all the 2 weeks in Yasawa?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

I'd probably go from Nadi to Yasawa Island Resort (it is accessible by boat, but from memory is a 6 hr odd journey as it is right at the top of the Yasawas on Yasawa-i-Rara), via plane from Nadi Airport. The plane leaves at around 2-3pm in the afternoon and is by charter. Cost is about $1600 AUD for 2 people to and from the island.

Taveuni is accessible by much larger (and more frequent flights).

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

Resorts on Taveuni, and nearby Qamea, and Matangi tick all your boxes. Know the beaches are more tidal than those in the Yasawas and Mamanucas. Snorkeling in the region, is the best we have experienced in Fiji. The resorts are in the rainy region, and get more rain than the Yasawa and Mamanuca Islands.

Have been to Matangi in February, March, and April, which are during the rainy/cyclone season. Will say our timing was good as left a few days before Cyclone Tomas hit mid March of 2010. Couldn't complain about the weather on any of our vacations. Had one day of rain during a two week stay. It sometimes rained at night, a good time to rain. There was also the usual tropical downpours usually in the afternoon lasting a 1/2 hour or so. It was also very hot and humid. Unfortunately, the weather can't be predicted when or where you go.

Like resorts on Taveuni, Qamea and Matangi offer tours to the Bouma Water Falls, Lavena Coastal Walk, and others on Taveuni. Have a look at their websites for details and other information. You can also hike around Matangi, and overlook Horseshoe Bay.

Splitting your stay between YIR, and either Qamea, Matangi, or a resort on Taveuni would give you two different experiences.

Personally, would go to Taveuni first, especially after a long flight. A number of flights are available from Nadi to Taveuni. The plane is a twin engine Otter, seating about 16 people. The flight takes about 1 1/2 hours, and can be an experience depending on the weather.Views of the water and islands is spectacular. Much shorter time than a boat ride to YIR, or waiting around for the flight. Contact Air Pacific (Fiji Air) for prices and schedules for flights to/ from Nadi to Taveuni.

The following link has pictures of our last vacation to Matangi. Will give you an idea of the bures, resort grounds, beach, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0439-1408-d5f4…

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. Am sure you will have an amazing honeymoon whichever resort you decide on.

7. Re: Honeymoon in Fiji including Yasawa Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Yasawa Islands