We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beach at Uprising Resort

Which Pacific Harbour hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The beach at Uprising Resort

Hi... I'm booked into the Uprising Resort in Pacific Harbour in August this year. I can see from some pictures that the beach at the resort is nice and sandy, but I haven't been able to find any info on what lies just out from the sandy beach.... is it coral rubble? Sandy out for x number of feet? Is it reef not to far out?

Also the water doesn't have that nice turquoise color to it that other areas have, is that due to the brown color of the sand?

I know these are odd questions but I'm into underwater photography and am wondering if there will be anything to shoot while snorkeling at the resort.

6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

I have been to Uprising many times (weekend day trips, haven't stayed overnight thought)... Sorry to say but the beach is not great at all... Every time I have been the water has been very cloudy (like brown sand has been lifted and floating around in the water), so cloudy you can not see if there's coral... The staff say this happens after heavy rain, but to be honest I think thats just how the beach is because I've been on nice sunny days where it hasn't rained for days and the water is the same... Would be worth taking a day trip to somewhere on the coral coast (eg/ Warwick) to get some good underwater shots... Or if you have the time/budget take a day trip to a nearby island... Sorry

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

Haven't been on beach directly in front of Uprising, but rather Fiji Palms which is located on the same beach front, about 800m away. No idea why the water is the colour it is, but it is very tidal ie subject to wave activity, which in turn churns up the sand on the bottom. Bottom is basically sand (lots of tree debris & seaweed on top). Would suggest beach shoes. Certainly no colourful fish as you see in the traditional Fiji brochures - but rather sand coloured that come in close for morning feeding. Very limited photographic opportunities unless u did a snorkelling tour. Sand is not white - and each morning we would walk from our resort to Uprising cleaning up rubbish - would end up with at least 2 shopping bags full each. Surprisingly it seemed to be from locals, rather than tourists - obviously the recycle, keep green message isn't getting through.

Have done snorkelling tour through Fiji Palms but sorry can't recall who the operator was. Could not recommend. Perhaps before u book anything, talk to others who've been at the resort for a while & have done snorkelling trips. Then make up your mind if it will meet your requirements. The beach we were taken to was covered in rubbish & seaweed, making snorkelling very difficult & not pleasant.

Enjoy your trip - and I'm sure u will end up with some fantastic shots above water without too much effort.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

Uprising is located in a deep water bay - not protected by a surrounding reef so doesn't offer the same "calm" waters as most of the Coral Coast locations. It does however, offer direct access to Beqa Island and lagoon which is a renowned area for scuba diving & snorkelling. We are visiting there in a few weeks and our objective is to do day trips to Beqa and also to the inland highland areas of Fiji while we are there. Will certainly report back on our return to give you some tips......... :) Thanks small_jo for the heads up on operators. We'll be sure to make a note of recs from fellow travellers and try & find a good one to get us out to Beqa. Also wanting to get some fishing trips in while we are there so will apply the same criteria to selecting a fishing charter :)

Edited: 7:13 am, June 03, 2013
Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

tex823 - if you've got a bit of time, perhaps look through reviews of Holiday Club at Fiji Palms. On first couple of pages I saw 2 mentions of snorkelling tour which disappointed (at around $180pp) but couldn't see a name. You could always ask any operator if they do tours for Fiji Palms so you'd know to avoid. But word of mouth by like minded travellers is always invaluable.

5. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:25 am, June 13, 2013
Edited: 2:25 am, June 13, 2013

Darwin
Level Contributor
33 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The beach at Uprising Resort

I would recommend Freedive fishing/snorkelling charters, they have a booking office at the Pearl South Pacific Resort. The boat they use for fishing is excellent, really well equipped and the Captain and crew are very knowledgeable about the area. They also have a bigger boat for the island tours, snorkelling etc (we only did the 1/2 day fishing) but would highly recommend this company. The trips leave from the Pearl South Pacific Resort which is great if you are a guest staying there. Their prices are very reasonable when you compare with charter prices from Australia - and their home-made cakes, biscuits are a very welcome treat!

Reply to: The beach at Uprising Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted