We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Island Recommendations

Phoenix AZ
12 posts
Save Topic
Hotel and Island Recommendations

I am looking at taking my 2 teenagers to fiji at the end of July. I have a travel agent suggesting: 3 nights at Taunovo Bay and 5 nights at Matangi.

We like luxury but do not want to over pay are there other resorts you would recommend?

Is this a good fit for 2 teenagers? Any advice welcome.

Rivers Fiji - Day Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing
Beqa Adventure Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Zip Fiji
Observation Decks & Towers
Pacific Harbour Ocean and Island Excursions
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,321 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

Hi

I would not go to Taunovo Bay with teenagers, Matangi yes. If yu want 2 destinations have a look at Jean Michel ousteau on Vanua Levu you could go here first and fly from here to Taveuni then a short launch trip away to Matangi. Vanua Levu has some great activities.

Queensland
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

Matangi (on Taveuni) is probably a good choice - while there probably won't be many (or any other) teenagers staying there, you will have access to great snorkelling (and/or diving) and some fun full day/half day trips on Taveuni (waterfalls hike always get good feedback).

Taunovo Bay gets really mixed reviews - must admit I don't have a good sense of it's location. I do know Pacific Harbour has some fun rafting and zip line activities that your teenagers might like. The Mamanuca islands are all lovely, they have the nice white beaches - recommend Vomo (upmarket) and Castaway (especially great if your teenagers are interested in learning to dive, it's very easy and safe there). Octopus in the Yasawas gets good feedback and has everything from backpackers to upmarket accommodation options - it depends how old your teenagers are and whether they want to meet other people of similar age.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

Matangi is a private island. There are no other resorts on the island. It is about a 20 minute boat ride from Taveuni. They allow children 16 years and older. We vacationed there in 2007, 2008, and April of this year. In 2008 there was a family with two teenage boys. They had a great time even tho there were no other teenagers at Matangi. If you would like to see pictures of our vacations at Matangi, send me your e-mail address in a private message. I will send you an invitation to view the pictures we posted on Picasa website. Check out the websites for any resorts you are interested in. They will give you a good idea of activites, prices, etc.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

Bula Robin,

I represent The Pearl South Pacific Resort in Pacific Harbour, Fiji. The Pacific Harbour region is perfect for active teenagers with unique activities like zipline, white water rafting, surfing, diving, snorkelling, golf & arts village for a bit of culture.

We would be delighted to welcome your family at the resort should it be of interest to you. We're a boutique resort with personalised service but also activities like tennis, beach volleyball, windsurfing, a cinema and 4 restaurants & 6 bars. If I can be of further assistance please email me on sales@thepearlsouthpacific.com.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

That's a very strange combination for teenagers....

Taunovo bay has great accommodation, not great food though. Your kids would probably prefer the scene at the Uprising which is nearby (nice accommodation, but not luxury). Castaway island has a teenagers club, and they take the kids island hopping, snorkelling, bbq picnics etc.

I would also recommend Taveuni over Matangi for teens because it's a larger island and there is a lot more to do. Or you might even consider Koro Sun on savu savu because there are a lot of activities that they can do there.

I guess it really depends on your kids. Are they happy not to meet anyone else their own age and just snorkel and relax? If so then go to Matangi, but be warned - everyone else there will probably be on their honeymoon!

6. Re: Hotel and Island Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:38 am, November 18, 2009