We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toberua for Kids

Petos10
2 posts
Save Topic
Toberua for Kids

If anyone has taken their kids to Toberua, i would love to hear from you.

I am planning a return trip in the next few months, only this time we plan to take our 1 1/2 year old daughter. I loved Toberua last time my partner and i went 4 years ago, but was kid free then so paid no attention to what facilities /arrangements were in place for them.

I have read that their is babysitting at a very reasonable price, has anyone used this? What sort of things did the kids/sitters get up to? We would like our daughter to be babysat some nights, and maybe a day or 2 while we do some of the day trips.

Any info on food, activites and how your kids enjoyed things would be so much appreciated.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toberua for Kids

We took our kids aged 6 and 8 (then) to Toberua in 2008. Babysitting was reasonable $6 FJ I think and easily accessible, however, just to be sure I would email them with your needs. I can remember seeing some kids your daughters age being babysat and it was fairly basic e.g. playing in the sand (they had a small patch of beach). They didn't have a kids club per say or any toys but that may have changed over the last two years.

I guess the difference to the larger resorts is that she wouldn't necessarily be around a lot of other kids her age in a kids club environment like can happen at the larger resorts e.g. one on one babysitting but kids often play together, although this depends on whose there when you visit?

Petos10
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toberua for Kids

Thanks Jodie. Yes the lack of things to do for her was my only real concern, yet we do not want to go back to one of the big chain resorts. I think if we just take some toys for her, and rely on the same sort of things we do at home - ie playing, books etc - and just keep our fingers crossed!

I have been to Fiji about 6 times, but not to many of the islands. It is a big toss up between Toberua and Manamucas. Having been to Toberua, i know what to expect and fell in love with the easy going atmosphere and great food. The week i spent here was one of the most relaxing of my life.

I noticed you have been to Fiji quite a bit, are there any other Islands that were complete stand outs to you?

Appreciated your time and thanks again

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toberua for Kids

Firstly be aware that Toberua changed hands in 2008. I understand that some of the old staff are still there but I guess as expected quite a number have left or retired as well. They have also had a couple of different managers (we met someone on our recent trip to Fiji who used to work there).

We have just got back from Navini (first visit) and while we really liked Toberua, Navini's beach, coral and fish life were real standouts for us. Navini's atmosphere was fabulous but food wise Toberua (from what we experienced in 2008) was a little better. I would choose Navini over Toberua because of the easy transfer from Nadi (day or night) and the beach, coral, fishlife. But it does have communal dining which we loved but is not everyone's cup of tea.

Now to confuse you even more - to be completely honest for a 1 1/2 year old Castaway (we have been there twice, last time in 2008) is a really good option (especially if you can go outside of school holidays when it's not at capacity). It is set up for young families and looking after really little kids is their speciality. It would be my pick for a 1 1/2 year old and it pains me to say that because we loved, loved, loved Navini but it's so small that you could be the only people there with kids.

The other issue is that both Navini and Castaway have separate rooms in bures - fully walled on Navini in one bure (Deluxe No 5) and separate in Castaway although it's more a screen than a wall but it can be a lot easier to get a toddler to sleep vs being in the same open plan room.

4. Re: Toberua for Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Toberua Island
More Toberua Island Topics