We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qamea in April

Kentucky
4 posts
Save Topic
Qamea in April

We are traveling to Figi in April and are so excited.Just a few questions, we are scheduled to arrive in Taveuni around 8:15 in AM will our luggage be on the plane with us? What are the soft drink csts(US Dollar) are they Coke products or Pepsi? Should we bring bug spray from home or will they have it on the island? Thanks in advance for any feedback i am so looking forward to a great honeymoon!!!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qamea in April

Hi, I think i can answer a few of your questions although I have not been to Qamea yet, we arrive on 5/2. From what I understand, they do have bug spray, but you might want to bring your own for use on the waterfall tour etc... I've heard that some people bring bug repellent wipes, which don't take up as much room and are easy to carry.

I think it depends on how many people are on your flight to Taveuni if all of your luggage will go with you. I hear you actually have to stand on a scale with your luggage so they know the total weight. I have heard there is a 2nd flight at 2pm to Taveuni so that if your luggage doesn't make it with you, hopefully it will be a few hours behind you. Bring some neccessities in a carry on to be safe! Maybe someone else can help you with the coke versus pepsi. Have fun!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qamea in April

Hello,

We were married at Qamea in October, and had a wonderful time. Here are some hopefully helpful answers to your questions.

Yes, I would bring your own bug spray just in case. The resort is bound to have some in its small gift shop, but it could be expensive. We didn’t use any when were there, however, insect populations can change drastically depending on the weather and seasons. I would also recommend bringing your own favorite sunscreen, plus any other toiletries and over-the-counter medications that you may want while there. Being on an island, the selection in the gift shop is quite limited.

Don't waste valuable luggage space with shoes for Qamea. We changed out of our tee-shirts for dinner, (although it is not required,) but no one wears shoes in the restaurant. All you will need is flip-flops for the resort, and maybe hiking shoes to go to Bouma falls, and the Lavena coastal walk on Taveuni. (A must in our opinion.) A small backpack, or fannypack comes in handy for the day trips.

You might also want to pack some gifts for the village children if you go to the village church service or take the village tour...candy, pens, pencils, crayons. They are all so sweet.

Pack your essentials (swim suit, flip-flops, shorts, toothbrush, meds and sunscreen etc.) in your carry-on in case your luggage gets delayed for a day or two. At the airport in Nadi, when you are checking in for your inner island flight to Taveuni, politely explain that you are leaving Taveuni by boat, and to PLEASE try to make sure your luggage goes with you on your flight if at all possible.

Be prepared to pay for extra bags, especially if you are hauling dive-gear. They sometimes cut divers a break, but other times we have been charged around $25 US.

Finally, whenever we travel anywhere, I always put 2 “destination tags” on all of our checked bags with our names, dates of travel, plus resort names, resort phone and resort address on them. I type this information up on colored paper, laminate them, and attach with a zippy strip. This will help everyone from the airlines, to the cab drivers, to the resort operators in case your luggage and you become separated. This has REALLY helped us over the years become reunited with our luggage. In all, just be prepared that sometimes even with the best efforts that luggage can go missing no matter what airline you travel with, and make the best of it.

Sorry, I don't remember much about the price or type of softdrinks they had. You could probably email the resort and they could tell you.

Have a happy honeymoon at Qamea! We sure did!

virginia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Qamea in April

Hello Bluejart! I just sent you a message as we will be there at the same time with you, but wanted to copy and paste this from an email that Ron (owner of Qamea) sent to me. I asked him how much alcoholic beverages and soda were...This is what he said:

To give you an idea of alcohol and beverage pricing, here are some prices converted to US$:

Australian house chardonnay wine: US$ 5.75

Australian house red wine: US$ 6.25

Fiji beer selections: US$ 3.50 (bottle)

Coke/Diet Coke/Sprite etc: US$ 2.75 (16 oz bottle)

Absolute Vodka & Tonic: US$ 8

Pure Qamea filtered and purified water: free (into your refillable sports bottle which we provide at no charge at check in)

Hope this helps and will see you there!

NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qamea in April

Bluejart,

Great choice for your honeymoon. Qamea is a very romantic special place. We just returned Jan 31, 2009.

Regarding your luggage: Assuming you are flying Air Pacific from LAX, your bags may be tagged through to TVU but you must reclaim them in NAN, take them through customs, walk a short distance outisde to the domestic terminal and re-check them at Pacific Sun. You will be weighed with your carry on baggage. You will not receive a boarding pass (this is because they must configure the seating due to weight and balance once everyone is checked in)When they call the TVU flight you will pass through security and be given a seat assignment at that time. The only reason your bags will not arrive with you would be due to a weight restriction but they will get them to you on the next available flight and will be delivered to the resort.

I know you will have a wonderful time! enjoy - Im jealous!

5. Re: Qamea in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, October 16, 2009