We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Now I’m completely stuck, my better half doesn't want to pay for the Castaway package and almost all the reviews (here and travel books) I’ve read on Treasure and Plantation Islands have been terrible. Yes for $1000 (Au) difference he's been completely cheap! Gggrrrrrr......!

Can anyone with a young family recommend a lovely resort that is modern, clean, has a kids club, isn't covered in rubbish, has consistently good food, a clean pool, white, safe beaches, quiet with (dare I ask) friendly, efficient staff? And finally my Hubbys only request is that its reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance :o)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

We absolutely loved Castaway Island and, as mentioned in a previous post, we did not love Treasure Island. We are staying at Malolo Island Resort for the first time later in the year. I believe this is a similar standard to Castaway Island but not quite as expensive. For stays of 5 nights or more, the kids eat free. For more details check out their website. Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Thanks for that, it just confirms what I had suspected... and its comforting to know that Im right to pull the pin on Treasure Island. I guess I will keep my booking for Castaway for the time being and hope that I can find another Island that costs less but has a high Standard. Would you pay to go back to Malolo Island Resort? Did you have any concerns?

Thanks for your help!

Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

For a $1000 difference go Castaway or Malolo..... It can make or break a holiday.....

Edited: 3:37 pm, January 27, 2011
sydney
Level Contributor
436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Have you looked at Amunuca? Haven't been but the recent reviews have been very positive about it and a couple of regulars here have been there recently and have been very happy.

Are you after the conventional resort experience - you haven't mentioned Mana, again very popular and positive.

For a smaller resort/ alternative experience is Octopus (with small pool) and Blue Lagoon Resort (no pool, but beach raved about) further up the Yasawas. Have a look at their websites and reviews to see if would suit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Yes, I would give Mana a look ;)

Mana has beautiful white sand beaches and crystal clear water. Mana has two beaches close to the resort, North and South, both with excellent snorkelling. There is also Sunset Beach but it is a bit of a walk away. It also has two swimming pools, one a horizon pool that looks over North Beach. The other also looks over the ocean and has a pool bar close.

It has two restaurants. One, on the North Beach, which serves buffet and the second is on South Beach which does al a carte.

Mana has a fantastic kids club which caters for kids 3 to 12. It costs $20 FJD for your whole stay. They also have the Mei Mei centre for under three year olds and you get 5 free hours of care a day.

Accommodation that kids are allowed in are the Island Bures, Ocean View Rooms and Ocean Front Suites. I would recommend the Island Bures as they are in the middle of the resort and both beaches are only a few minutes walk away.

Nola :)

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

You should do a comparison with meals etc included - it works out to about $100/day difference between Castaway/Malolo to Amunuca/Mana. Break it down like that and he might concede........ but agree with the other posts - alternatives are: Amunuca, Mana, Musket Cove or Octopus in the Yasawas. Treasure is one of those places you either love or not and depends how far you are prepared to compromise. There are many people who adore both Plantation and Treasure for the more authentic experience - it just depends what is important to YOU on your holiday.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Castaway and Malolo are the only two I would consider.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

@ hangin - Channel 9's Getaway did a special segment on Malolo resort (last night) Apparently they are Fiji's no 1 family resort (not sure who comprised the voters). They went into a lot of detail regarding the kids club and the bures looked beautiful, large and airy. You could probably download and view the segment and show your hubby/partner...

Edited: 2:04 am, January 28, 2011
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Agree with Lucien and Hooked on, go to Malolo Island Resort, it's beautiful and everything you want, and a great beach.

The local owners also own Likiliku which gets great reviews too but adults only.

Think Malolo won Trip Advisor best family resort 2010, Adeladyan.

I found the clip on getaway here's the link H4B, this may help

…ninemsn.com.au/fspacific/fiji/8202416/famil…

If you are using a travel agent get a few quotes, and then go straight to the resort and see if you can get a better deal. All the best.

Edited: 2:39 am, January 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An impossible Ask? Looking for an Island Resort FIJI

Will do great tip thanks

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island