We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How big is Amanuca Resort?

Which Tokoriki Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How big is Amanuca Resort?

We are considering Amanuca for our next holiday and have a query. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids ages 2, 7 & 10, have been to Treasure Island and Castaway which we LOVED. Went to Mana last year and was disappointed, one of the things we did not like is how BIG the resort was, we prefer smaller resorts like Treasure and Castaway as so much more relaxing and everything nice and close by. So can anyone tell me how big Amanuca Resort is in comparison to Mana, Treasure etc?

Thanks

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Treasure is 67 bures, Castaway is 65 and Amanuca is 75 - so only a little larger but they do have 2 room family bures at a reasonable price :) If you want to go even smaller try one of the Yasawa resorts like Botaira, Octopus or Blue Lagoon

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Seems bigger then it is as it goes up the hillside, very nice location with nice reef.

Canberra
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Thanks for the info. Are the family bures far from the beach?

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Are you aware that Amunuca island resort is in a receivership stage at the moment so do not book it if you have any expectations. We stayed next door at Tokoriki in March this year which is absolutely gorgeous (but you can't take children there) and when we kayaked around the island Amanuca looks terrible - also we had quite a few of their guests pop round to Tokoriki for some decent food.

Just something you should know before you spend thousands :-)

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Wow when did it go into receivership Angela?? Tokoriki is much more expensive & kids under 12 are not allowed. Such a shame to learn it looks terrible too - in what way? Was this around the time of all the flooding & bad weather?

Fijidaydreamer we had an amazing 7 night stay at Amunuca last year & would go back in a heartbeat. We are off to Mana Island in 6 sleeps & the only reason is because we wanted to try somewhere different.(I'm hoping we like it, being too big is a minor concern so we'll see!) The views at Amunuca are stunning & the food great, staff amazing we LOVED it. I find it hard to believe it's turned so terrible. :)

Do your homework, email & ask some questions. They have a FB page too & I just looked & there's some lovely positive posts on there.

Nothing is too far away from the beach at Amunuca

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Hi

As far as I know the resort actually went into receivership in 2009. But I don't know what has happened since.

Some resorts spend years in receivership while still trading and attempting to trade into profit and out of receivership.

Hopefully someone else will have some up to date information.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

HI there - I have just heard it is in receivership through reading on this site on both Tokoriki and Amanuca reviews. Read the Amanuca reviews and you will see a lot of bad reviews, Tokoriki you will see very few. We went in March and I believe they had had floods in Jan but I don't think you can blame the floods for the poor reviews on staff and food that I have read and heard from the horses mouth whilst on Tokoriki.

It really does look terrible from the sea when kayaking past and we met people who were staying there who kept coming around to Tokoriki to purchase their meals - they would even take doggy bag meals back with them for their next meal. You can't drink the water at Amanuca - Tokoriki has a desalination plant so you have fresh drinkable water all the time etc.

Tokoriki is much more expensive for sure but if you want to have an enjoyable holiday I guess you get what you pay for.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Well unfortunately Angela M - as stated above - your information isn't much assistance in this instance as the OP is seeking a FAMILY resort and Tokoriki does not offer that option.

Perhaps the dissatisfied customers were those who EXPECTED a Tokoriki experience for the PRICE of Amanuca???? Often happens in Fijian resorts.

Travelling with your children is a whole different ball game to travelling as a couple.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

It went into receivership in 2008 and was sold by Aanuka Island Resort Ltd to Hong Kong Based Inspire Destinations Inc in 2010.

At the time of takeover they did a 6 week renovation as the resort was that run down.

Whilst I'm not party to the financials of the resort, it seems to be running fine since takeover.

I had heard whispers that the management team/owners where viewing to purchase Amunuca if it came up for sale, but have heard nothing more about it, and I believe that may go back to before it was sold in 2010.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How big is Amanuca Resort?

Hi there tez823 - sorry I didn't mean to upset you by my comments. I am not trying to tell them to stay at Tokoriki as I am well aware that they do not allow children there.

I am just trying to let them know what I heard about the neighbouring Amanuca whilst I was at Tokoriki (being that they are within 5 mins of each other) and I would hate for a hard-working family to waste thousands on a place like Amanuca.

Also as a parent I am well aware that travelling with chn is diff to travelling as a couple.