We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Sydney
1 post
Save Topic
Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

I will be travelling with my husband and 9 year old and almost 4 year old daughters to Fiji HOPEFULLY next May/June and we are looking to stay at Castaway. Please let me know of anything I should know about this place. It appears to be highly recommended. Beach front Bures seem the go!!! Would 4 of us fit comfortably? I would appreciate any good or bad advice.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

kaz134,

Castaway is a great place for families. They have tons of things to do for all ages. The kids club is a blast. They just renovated all the bures and they look wonderful. The food was great when I was there. They have the wood fire pizzas which were very good and great for the kids. The beachfront will fit 4 people comfortably. You should have a great time!

katt

Auckland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Gidday Kaz

Just got back from a stunning holiday on Castway with our two kids. A beachfront bure is the way to go and four of you will fit in just fine. We managed it with two older kids. Recommend you take sunblock, insect repellent for the outdoor evenings (there are outdoor kids games most evenings), and wine. We took our own snorkelling gear for convenience but it is available for use on the island. A few snacks and some juice concentrate for the younger also proved useful - but not essential. Pretty much everything else is available there, right down to beach towels. You'll love it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

It will be the vacation of your life with your kids wanting to stay. If you are not excited yet, you should be!!

Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Kaz134 - You will not regret your decision to go to Castaway. Yes the bures are quite adequate for 4 people.

They provide beach towels, so don't bother bringing those along. Very casual dress - we virtually only took only an overnight bag, lived in swimmers and sarongs. We didn't seem to have a problem with the insects but they do provide spray in the bures as well as shampoos and beautiful body lotions.

I would suggest you take your own wines as they are pretty pricy, and they do allow you to bring your own wines to dinner and just charge a corkage. Bring along your own cork screw if you want to enjoy a wine or two on the beach or in your bure as they don't supply that in the bure. Do bring along some drinks for the children, their bar prices and drinks from the shop are quite pricey also. There is a fridge available in the bures as well as tea and coffee making facilities with a great selection of teas to choose from and a proper coffee maker :)

Definately do the meal plan - it would be deadly not to go this way, the food is very pricy going on the menu, so the meal plan is a must. Meals are delicious and plenty of choice for kiddies and well as the big kids :)

Go the Beach bure if the budget allow. Certainly hope you get the opportunity to relax and enjoy this wonderful island.

Kiwi over the world
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Hi. Well I am biased as have been to Castaway 5 times. Now I have also travelled the world with my wife and two boys, as well as stayed at other resorts (islands and mainland) in Fiji over the last 27 years. What I can say is that different places suit different tastes, hence why so many survive and do well.

As for Castaway......... it is perfect. We were there over xmas 2006, and it was as good as ever. It is the perfect balance of being large enough to have facilities, and small enough to know your name without intruding or charging too much for that personal service.

A bure, beach front or elsewhere, is fine for size. My boys are now 11 and 9, and it is big enough. All Bure's have been refitted in the last 2 years, and now the main bed area can be separated by a sliding door from the rest of the lounge / kids sleep area......so now even better.

We have had island, oceanview and beach front bures and all good. The best are the beach front but, if you can ask for an Icean View room. There are only 5 or 6, but they are as good as Beach front but 15-20% cheaper.

The north beach is hot all day and night. the South beach picks up a nice southerly breeze....so if you want to cool down, just open a window (instead or as well as the fan).

Go to Castaways web site (www.castawayfiji.com) for the map of the room locations, and make some suggestions to your travel agent.

Enjoy...........its a magic place.

Alex allee@mail.com

Kiwi over the world
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Hi. Well I am biased as have been to Castaway 5 times. Now I have also travelled the world with my wife and two boys, as well as stayed at other resorts (islands and mainland) in Fiji over the last 27 years. What I can say is that different places suit different tastes, hence why so many survive and do well.

As for Castaway......... it is perfect. We were there over xmas 2006, and it was as good as ever. It is the perfect balance of being large enough to have facilities, and small enough to know your name without intruding or charging too much for that personal service.

A bure, beach front or elsewhere, is fine for size. My boys are now 11 and 9, and it is big enough. All Bure's have been refitted in the last 2 years, and now the main bed area can be separated by a sliding door from the rest of the lounge / kids sleep area......so now even better.

We have had island, oceanview and beach front bures and all good. The best are the beach front but, if you can ask for an Icean View room. There are only 5 or 6, but they are as good as Beach front but 15-20% cheaper.

The north beach is hot all day and night. the South beach picks up a nice southerly breeze....so if you want to cool down, just open a window (instead or as well as the fan).

Go to Castaways web site (www.castawayfiji.com) for the map of the room locations, and make some suggestions to your travel agent.

Enjoy...........its a magic place.

Alex allee@mail.com

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

It will defiantly fit you guys comfterably!

My family and I went with all 4 of us and had an amazing time!

Even if you do not get a beach front bure you will still have a nice view and not to far of a walk from the dinning hall to your room. All the rooms seem to be equally nice, and the staff is so nice!

Dont bring beach towels they supply you some.

You might want to take some medicines, simple things like things for stomach problems. My mom did in case, but we thankfully never had to use them.

Bring tons of suntan lotion because the sun is very hot. Forget about your high heels and expenisve shoes, after a day I stopped wearing my shoes and let my hair down. Its a barefoot island as they call it and yes you may want to bring some fli flops.

BUG SPRAY! is a must, I had so many bites. You dont get bit in the rooms but I would sit near bushes or trees and get severly bit

In case of you or anyone in your family getting sick, there is a nurse on the island and I went to see her about my bug bites, and she treated me for free.

I adivse taking the meal plan, it seemed to save some money.

have a wonderful stay!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
684 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Hi kas134, I've just discovered a new website www.travelwithkidsonline.com where you will be able to look up all the details about Castaway. It's great because you can see what activities they do at the kids club, the cost of babysitting...lot of information specific to family travel. Personally I highly recommend Castaway, we had our honeymoon there and would love to take our children back one day. The beach front bures are the ones to go for if you can afford it but you would have a great time regardless of what bure type you are in. Have a great trip!!

sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

Hi, I just read that you were planning to go to castaway island.. Did you eventually go , and if so what did you think?.. what were the bures like? which side of island is better to stay in??....as we are planign to go in february and wanting to stay ina beach front bure...with our 2 kids, aged 13 and 11..any advice??.. cheers J

10. Re: Help! Castaway Island Fiji.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 17, 2009