We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

Hi, We are staying on Navini Island for 6 nights and have booked the 2 bedroom bure. I have read in other reviews that this bure is on the north side of the island which is rocky. As I have young children I was hoping we could sit outside our bure and they could play at the wateredge, could someone please confirm how rocky the north side is and should we request a bure on the south side. Should I bring reef shoes for walking around the rocks? This is our first time to Navini and Fiji. We have always travelled to Asia so very excited to visit the South Pacific. Thanks Gabi

4 replies to this topic
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

Contact the resort as the sand is constantly moving with winds and tides. It is only a couple of minutes to walk from one side to the other anyway so really not much difference. Perhaps bure would be an option if the sand is still on the south side. Very small island so nowhere is far to get to. Reef shoes are up tp you I have never bothered as if you swim where it is sandy then no problem.

Edited: 1:34 am, September 07, 2012
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

We stayed in bure #2, a two room bure on the north side of the island. They are stand alone, but do not have two separate bedrooms. There is a day bed in the living area, and you can make arrangements to have additional beds. Bures on the south side of the island are duplexes, so not as much privacy. Also only one bedroom, with a day bed in the living area. Again additional bed can be brought in.

Only wore shoes when walking around the island. There were some rocky and grassy areas. Like Hooked, didn't wear them walking on the beach or in the water in front of our bure.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Navini in February of 2011. Even though the sands may have shifted, they will give you a good idea of the resort grounds, bures, beach, entertainment, etc. There is also a map of the resort showing the location of the bures.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

Bure 6 on the south side is stand alone with only the day room ajoining and this is not often used so is very private.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navini Island - North Side or South Side??

Hi, just returned from Navini. We stayed in bure number 6 which is on the south side. Definitely a better beach than the north side and not rocky there. It was very private and we enjoyed our stay there

Reply to: Navini Island - North Side or South Side??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted