We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji with a young child

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Fiji with a young child

I am planning a trip to Fiji mid next year with my husband and child (who will be 1 1/2 years old then). Can anyone recommend a place to stay that is family friendly, good beach and activities, nice food etc? I don't want to have to travel too far once I get off the plane either.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji with a young child

All of below are close to Nadi in the Mamanuca group of islands.

Only 10 mins by helicopter and less than 2 hours by boat.

IMHO

Vomo - high end, has very good food, lovely beaches.

Castaway or Malolo - mid level. Castaway is arguably the most popular place for parents with young children, nice beach, heaps of activities. Food OK.

Treasure - lower end

Personally, I think the islands are heaps better than the mainland. The mainland just doesn't have good beaches.

Read the reviews - there are enough for all of the above resorts that will give you a great feel for whether these places are right for you.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji with a young child

Hi I have just booked a trip to navini 4 nights and malolo island resort 3 nights for this october I am so excited. I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old so I will let you know how i go when I get back. I booked Navini first even though they have no kids club (but they do have babbysitting) because of their reef and there transfers. If you go to the mamanuca group of islands (best option) you can get someone to meet you at the airport (24 hour pick up) drive you to the marina 20mins and then private speed boat to the island 30mins. I got free transferes because Im staying 4 nights but usually quite reasonable. (sorry cant find price) Best bet for kids after a 4 hour flight. From what I understand most people have to catch a cab then the 'cat' which can take up to 2 hours to arrive and only leaves 3 times a day so you may have to wait. Of course if you can afford helicopter or seaplane your set! We are then of to malolo because of the kids club reviews there is a baby pool etc. Cant wait to write my own review!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji with a young child

Thank you for your replies. It gives me a good starting point for my research.

I look forward to hearing how your trip goes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji with a young child

We took our three kids aged 2, 4 and 6, to Fiji in March. We stayed at the Shangri la on the Coral Coast. I know everyone says to leave the mainland, but it was our first o/seas trip with the kids, so were also wanting an easy transfer once we got off our flight. This was less than an hour by bus, so was manageable for us with small, tired children. I thought the beach there was fine, the pool was great (we spent more time there than at the beach), and it was an easy resort to be at with young kids. Babysitters were great, it's a resort that really caters for families with small children. Having not visited the outer islands (maybe next time!), I can't make a comparison, but Shangri la suited us fine this time.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji with a young child

Thank you for your reply and information. It is useful to get an insight from others.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji with a young child

I would agree on the Shangri-la option. We went to Fiji last August with our (then) 3 and 5 year olds and stayed at the Shangri-la and Castaway. I would highly recommend both places to anyone but for family traveling with little kids Shangri-la is a better option.

Another thought: You could also spend the last lag of your trip on one of the brand hotels on Danarau Island and take a day-trip to the outer islands. This way you could sample the true flavor of Fiji with the convenience of being on the mainland.

You will love Fiji! The people are so nice there and it's just a wonderful place to share with our children.

7. Re: Fiji with a young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:22 pm, September 30, 2009