We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

California
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

Hello fellow travelers,

I read in some posts that there's quite a bit of mosquitos on Lomani. Is the mosquito problem mainly at Lomani, or is it a common theme on most outer islands? More specifically, Navini or Matamanoa? Thanks!!

Eddie

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

Mosquitos are anywhere that has water lying around, especially after rain. Navini does spray if they are a problem. Must admit I did get bitten at Matamanoa on the occasions we went there , that was a few of years ago so don't know if they spray now or not. Also found sandflies a problem there around the tennis court area. Never had an issue at Navini over Christmas and New Year and we did have some rain while there.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

Mosquitoes are to be expected where ever you go in Fiji. There were mosquitos at Navini. They were not as bad as other resorts we have been to. We usually take mosquito repellent with us from home. As we only took carry on bags on our vacation to Navini, had to buy some at the resort. It was pricey. Better off to take it and not need it whichever resort you decide on.

Edited: 7:24 pm, January 17, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

Forgot to say, we also take citronella candles for sitting outside our bure. Helps keep the mossies away.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

The only time I found mosqitoes to be a nuisance at Navini was at dusk, and even then there were much less on the Island than I was expecting. They did spray the Island once while we were there, and the smell of the spray was not very nice. But it was gone very quickly, and worth it to keep the mozzies at bay.

The good thing is that the windows are all screened, so if you spray your bure with fly spray (provided in your room) before going out to dinner and make sure you close your doors, you have a mosquito free bure all night.

I took tropical strength insect repellent and sprayed myself regularly. It didn't seem to scare the mozzies away unfortunately. I think they are becoming more and more immune to the products available in most convienience stores.

California
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

Hey thanks guys for the quick replies!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

You're welcome. Glad to help.

7. Re: Mosquitos on Navini or Matamanoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, March 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island