We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matamanoa Island

belfast
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Matamanoa Island

We're visiting Matamanoa island on 22nd - 30th July 2008 and have booked a beach bure. Can anyone offer advice as to where to stay - sunset v sunrise? Which are quieter/more privat/closer to beach? Also is the mela plan worth the money? Can you bring your own booze from NZ?

Cheers!

Jill

Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matamanoa Island

I would definately suggest just paying for food as you go for better value! We did that and it worked out much cheaper - we didnt hold back either, but you would have to have 3 courses at each meal to make it close to worth while! Also we bought duty free spitits at Nadi airport to take which worked out well for us! Hope that helps!

belfast
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matamanoa Island

Thanks for your help!

Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matamanoa Island

Just one tip! make sure you buy your alcholhol at the airport and NOT at the marina as the marina prices are about 3-4 times the duty free prices! We got some snack type things like crackers & chips at the marina though which were fine!

san diego
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Matamanoa Island

I totally agree with Slrj. We were there in January and we did the dinner meal plan. It was so much food and it would have been cheaper to just pay by what we ordered.

I also agree that you should buy alcohol at the airport. We bought a bottle of vodka. the bar has no problems giving you a bucket of ice and the sodas are reasonably priced. We had our own little happy hour on our patio and It saved a ton of money.

belfast
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matamanoa Island

Cheers to both of you! We've always less apetite in the sun, so better pay as you go! Good to know bout no prob bar selling soft drinks as mixers! So sunset/sunrise - some of the beach photos look dead stony. Which is stonier?

san diego
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Matamanoa Island

We stayed on the stoney side but I loved it. It was much more secluded and the scenery was more dramatic. I would depend on what you like but I never left the lounger outside my bure and liked being alone.

7. Re: Matamanoa Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island