We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matamanoa Scuba Diving

Which Matamanoa Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Matamanoa Scuba Diving

Has anyone experienced the scuba diving around the area. We have previously stayed on Plantation and on the mainland and have dived most of the Mamamuca Group.

Also, we're on a meal package......can any one tell me a little about it because I've seen negative reviews on it.

Thanks

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

We dove 2 days in July at Matamanoa. Overall it was pretty good. Not spectactualr like the Rainbow Reef but, still better than average. Make sure you do the Fish Market dive if you haven't already to see the sharks. I wouldn't suggest Sherwood Forest (I think that was the name). It was deep and didn't have much to see. The divemasters weren't all that great (one was a substitute). They didn't really bother to point critters out and you are expected to carry all of your gear, including the tanks, back to the shop. Given the prices I didn't expect this. The boat died one time while half of us were still drifting in the water. Luckily, she was able to call another resort (Tokoriki?) and they sent their dive boat out. That was lucky because we were drifting away from the boat. The DM was able to get the motor running with no problems. The boat driver had been the substitute DM. I'm sure the regular boat captain would not have had this problem.

I'd skip the meal package. The food isn't that good and unless you are a big eater you'll do better a la carte.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

Hi

Well this is going to be a problem. We're big into Scuba and had specifically wanted to go here because we had dived most of the other sites in the Mamamuca Group.

I know the writeup on it was that they would be diving around Qamea and places that we haven't been to anyway!

We're also not staying in a beachfront burea and can't upgrade because they are busy. In all we will be there for 10 days!

The meal package.....unfortunately we have taken the Dinner only.

I don't think that we can change islands either!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

Have you dived in the Yasawas? I'm a big fan of Wayalailai Eco Haven for diving, and I know there are also dive centres at Octopus and Nanuya Island Resort..... are you past the point of being able to change your plans?

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

If you're big into diving then I would suggest Taveuni to dive the Rainbow Reef or the north side of Viti Levu to dive the Bligh Waters.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

Thanks for all the recommendations. Yes we had considered other spots but we wanted to "vegitate" and do some diving.

I don't think we can change our plans. Oh well, we will have to make the best of it all.

6. Re: Matamanoa Scuba Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island