We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need advise bad....

California USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
I need advise bad....

I am planning a trip to Fiji and I selected matamanoa island. My husband and I are not into clubs and are into snorkeling and relaxing. But I need to pick a date and I can't find info on the best time to go. I was thinking December, is it to hot? Is there things to watch out for in the water like Australia? And if there is any other advise on where to snorkel around that area, would greatly help out. Thanks in advance, Jen=)

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need advise bad....

Hi Jen, how much experience do you have in tropical travel? I have been to the south pacific close to 20 times and during a good variety of months. I prefer the cooler times. December will be hot, actually the hottest, most humid, and the rainy season is Nov-March. From mid October through early March the sun is directly overhead at noon. If you like to sunbathe, these months will be trying. Late April-early October is the best time. The coolest months are July and August. During the hot time expect high 80's low 90's with a heat index that is upper 90's. June-September is very pleasant with high 70's to mid 80's. Humidity is scaled back a bit and the sun is at a shallower angle, more comfortable. June-August is the most crowded, but on Matamanoa, who cares! They don't have enough rooms for you to feel crowded. Water temps are highest in March-April and are bathlike, though to me the water has never felt cold in Fiji. I'm not sure about things in the water as far as seasonal, Fiji is the sea snake capital of the world. While they are deadly poisonous they pose little or no threat as they are not aggressive and their mouths are so small it's next to impossible to be bit. Matamanoa has good snorkelling and I think you have made a good choice. One more weather thing, most Californians who are considering a south pacific destination have already been to say Hawaii or Mexcio. Is it too hot for you there in June-September? If so don't go to Fiji in between Nov-March. July in Fiji is somewhat equal to Hawaii in January, though much of Fiji is closer to the equator. For the best weather and sparsest amount of other travellers, I would suggest April-May, late September or October. Cheers, Pub

Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I need advise bad....

Hi Jen, Matamanoa is a great choice for both snorkelling and relaxing. We've been there twice, both times in March. It is HOT! The garden rooms have A/C and the bures have ceiling fans, so that may be a consideration when booking. The bures are beautiful and large with lots of windows so you can catch a nice breeze, but we've had people try to trade us for our much less expensive air conditioned garden room.

They take you on a daily free snorkelling trip and sometimes there are several guests that go and others very few. If Ben takes you, he'll usually go where you ask. He knows great spots and you'll see some really neat stuff. We saw sharks quite regularly as Matamanoa is very near a SCUBA site they call the Supermarket. They ignored us and we watched them very closely. Sea snakes were also a common site, but like Pub says, no worries. Just don't stick your finger in their mouth. The most bothersome thing I found in the water were sea lice. You can't see them and you will be just swimming along and all of a sudden be getting stung all over. It is very uncomfortable at the time, but doesn't last or leave any marks. Still, it made me avoid certain snorkelling areas. When swimming off the beach, it wasn't as common.

Hope this helps. We loved it there and would go back, especially to see the recent renovation. Have fun.

T.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need advise bad....

Jen, Shellsharks is correct about March. I spent parts of March in Tahiti four times, cook city! The sea lice is what I coud not think of. Once again Shellsharks hit it right. I have heard of these stinging little critters, but have never experienced it (luckily) as they are not a problem in the cooler months

California USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I need advise bad....

Wow....thanks for the info.=) I was going to go to Australia (Great Barrier Reef) for three weeks but plans changed so I have August, December, or January to go or I can wait till next May but that is tooooo long. Out of those three months which one would you choose?

I have gone to Cancun in June which was HOT and also Maui in March which was nice. Also, Turks and Caicos in June and that was pretty hot too. I don't mind heat cause for the most part I will be in the water.

So you guys recommend A/C in the room? Also, one more question, is there anything that you forgot to bring that you wish you had?

Hehe...one more question, is there any good spots you recommend to snorkel/dive?

Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island