We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana school

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Mana school

Hi there, we (a family of four) are heading to Mana island at the end of january and I was wondering whether we should bring with us anything, pens, books etc...to give it to the loocal school. I have read several posts from people saying that they brought lots of things for the school but does the school really need it or is more like a tourist thing to do? I don't want the people in the village to be offended...

Cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
194 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana school

Absolutely you should!! They will welcome you warmly and will be extremely grateful for anything you can offer. School supplies, sports equipment etc are all in need. The principal lives right next to the school and he and his wife are lovely to chat with :) We have only met a few children there as 1st time it was flooded and 2nd time was school holidays. Others will be along with ideas for gifts. Enjoy your time at Mana.

Cindy

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana school

I would contact the resort and ascertain that the Fijian kids aren't on school hol's. You don't want to bring the stuff and find you have to take it home again.

I would also ask your resort as many run charitable trusts for the local schools you may be able to donate funds rather than school staff.

All the best

Baz

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana school

We haven't been to Mana, but have been to other schools/villages. Besides school supplies: erasers, rulers, pencil sharpeners, clothes and books. Besides necessities we like to take something fun for the children have taken jump ropes frisbies, and yo yos. They have so very little, anything you take will be greatly received. Will be a real eyeopener for your children, and help them know how lucky they are, and appreciate all they have.

If you are going during school holidays, you could give give the items to the resort's staff. Am sure many of their children attend the school.

The following has more suggestions of what to take when visiting a village/school as well as other suggestions of what to take with you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana school

Hi there, thank you all for your advice. In fact I did not think about school holidays. But I have checked online and it seems that school will resume on the 19th of January just when we arrive in Mana. Just checking with the airlines now how much kilos we are allowed to bring on board, but we will definitely bring some stuff including toys.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana school

The Mana school is great. They are very happy to show you around and appreciate any donations incl cash. Apparently the resort don't help them at all. They invited us back for our sons birthday while we were there and the school choir had set up a sound system and sang him lots of songs incl happy birthday. Wonderful people!!!

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana school

Hi Holidayjunkie77 - I could have used that username too (same birth year too:))

Thanks for the information. I have bought some school supplies and award stickers, hopefully the kids will enjoy them. I am defintely planning to take my kids to the school while we will be in Mana next week, especially my older son (5) who is always in the mood to meet and play with new friends :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana school

Oh lucky you....Mana next week! I'm jealous. We are rebooked for Jun/Jul.

We took stickers and little bottles of bubbles to the school. The kids loved them. They are very sweet kids. They played ball games with my boys for ages on the oval. And the principal Sefa and his wife are lovely too.

Enjoy your trip and snorkel like mad. Especially the amazing North Beach drop off approx 50m offshore.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mana school

I loved the concerts the kids put on with the principle down at the backpackers restaurant. The kids are awesome. Donations are welcome after the performance to help the school. After speaking with the principle his major want is glue sticks. lol

We also brought a suit case of clothes and had them sorted into sizes and gave them away as well. Why give them to vinnies when these kids went nuts over them.

The biggest thing you can to to give is spend some time in the village and get a massage and get your hair braided. Put some money into the village.

9. Re: Mana school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, February 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island