We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bedbugs

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bedbugs

Just read the last review and shock,horror....bedbugs!!! Now I'm completely freaked out !!! Have a holiday booked at Mana next month.Has anyone else had a problem with these insidious bugs and if so how did management respond ?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bedbugs

Bed bugs are mostly transported via luggage so bags can be contaminated in baggage holds of planes, boats or coaches. It does not mean a resort is unclean. Don't put your bags on the bed to unpack them. Spray your bags before you pack inside and out with one of the surface sprays you find in the insect spray part of your supermarket. Also a small jar of vaseline is good to rub on to the legs of the beds to prevent the bugs from climbing of the floor. Keep bedding off the floor. Report any evidence of bugs to housekeeping department of the resort immediately and ask to be moved. They should do this anyway.

Geelong
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bedbugs

Yes, we have had a problem with bed bugs. Ours was on Treasure a few years ago.

We visited the nurse while there for for antihistamines, but there was no admission of bed bugs. Later I visited again on my own (without my daughter, didn't want to scare her) and asked the nurse if they were bed bug bites, she said yes and sent the cleaning ladies to treat the room. They just used surface spray to treat the room. But in a tropical environment with may travellers bed bugs are bound to happen.

We now take a can of insect surface spray, Mortein, I think. One that states bed bugs on the can. When we arrive anywhere we spray the floors around the bed, the bed legs, strip the bed and spray the mattress. I know this sounds like over kill, but one you have been bitten, or should I say your child has been bitten you will do anything from preventing it from happening again. Bed bug bites sometimes take a few days to appear after being bitten, so often hard to detect straight away.

After spraying we just leave the room to air for a while, and re make the bed. We also spray the our suitcases inside and out before we pack and leave for our holidays.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bedbugs

Thanks Hooked on Fiji and NicGeelong.

I guess we just have to be vigilant and take what precautions we can. I would like to take a surface spray with me but it looks like it is a banned dangerous item to take on the plane even in checked baggage. Do you take it from home NicGeelong or buy it when you get to Fiji?

Geelong
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bedbugs

Yes, just put it in suitcase. Have never been questioned at either end. The cans we took last trip were trigger tops, no lid, but still had plastic lock attached. I look at it just like taking hairspray etc.. But they all have lids.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bedbugs

We have taken it from home but you can buy it at any Nadi supermarket

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bedbugs

Thanks for your response. I have contacted Mana Island and they have assured me the issue has been dealt with......but I think i'll take whatever precautions I can !!

Very much looking forward to our holiday ......hopefully without a visit by these bugs !!!!

7. Re: bedbugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 28, 2014