We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

I have just been reading the recent reviews on Mana Island, they go from 5* to 1*!

It is very interesting, and i note it has been commented on here before that most 1* reviews are from TA members who are "one off reviewers".

As we are about to book Christmas at Mana this year I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews of those who stayed there for Christmas 2011.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

Know what you mean. Obviously these reviewers didn't get the experience they were expecting. Wonder if they used this site to research before they booked. We all have different expectations so research is a must wherever you go.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

ChelleL,

In my experience something that always makes me laugh. If you have a bad experience, you generally try and get proof to backup your comments.

If linen or sheets are dirty, walls are marked, or food looks like it's been regurgitated from a mother bird nearby, I would have thought the first thing you would do, is get photos of it.

Afterall anyone can say a bad word about a place, but pictures back up those words.

In regards to negative reviews on here I've read of places I've considered staying I've always contacted the person asking if they have pictures of the issues, and the answer is nearly always a no.

To me that sets off alarm bells.

The other big issue comes from preconceived expectations that round the world star ratings pertain exactly to Fiji. Whilst Fiji does have a star rating it's very VERY loosely used by the Fiji Hotel and Tourism Association. How can any resort have a high star rating (using an Asia Pacific star rating), when most of the prerequisities for a 4/5 star (asiapac) rating require the place to have a carpark or 24hr valet, or it's own pool.

So people will thnk 4 star Aus/NZ like Novotel/Crown Plaza will be the same as staying in Fiji. Of course it won't be, and therefore people are let down and blast the resort as a result.

Sadly there isn't much you can do about it, except make your opinion known on here with a positive review of the resorts you stay at.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

You have to remember that a resort is not going to be everyones idea of a great holiday. We each expect a different experience when we go on holidays and unfortunately some pick the wrong resort for them. Some people book at a 3 star resort but expect 5 star amenities and food. Or some just book thru a travel agent and never do any research for themselves, so end up at the wrong resort for them.

If I had let all the bad reviews of Mana put me off, I would have never of gone the first time and discovered what a fantastic place it is. People still write really bad reviews about it and I also think to myself, here is another person who didn't do their research, chose the wrong resort and tries to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

I have read reviews here on TA from two different people on the same resort, who were there at the same time, that were completely opposite. You would think that they went to two different resorts.

Nola ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

Its very confusing, you will get varying reviews on most of the islands/hotels. I say if you have done your research and like the look of an island/hotel go with it.

Reading all the differing reviews will give you a headache!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

I'm with Beerwalk on this one...the single post reviewers disappoint me. Having been there at Christmas 2011 and New Year 2011/2012 (and previous festive seasons), I can attest that the island is magical at this time. The Fijians put a lot of effort in to making things great. The weather was also great unlike the mainland which tends to rain in the afternoon.

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

I just returned from the most magical week on mana island. Had ocean view bure & it was great, very roomy & nice bathroom and a view that was just magical!! The resort was lovely & the staff fabulous!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

We are all different and it would be pretty boring if we were the same. I have been to Mana, we did enjoy it but after visiting other resorts in other areas of Fiji we found we preferred smaller resorts with bure accommodation on the beachfront where we got to know all the guests, personal and friendly. For families resorts like Mana are fantastic.

We were all first time posters once!!

As for taking pictures of of anything from bed bugs to dirty sheets, showers and the like, no way. I wouldn't want the memory. Most people are honest and report as they see it and lets face it we all see things differently. What is a major issue for some is a minor hiccup for another. We have had some horrific experiences too and go to management first and must admit haven't gone back for a second time. Sometime we have to accept responsibility for our decisions, if we decide to give a place ago, without any research the we only have ourselves to blame.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

My blood pressure always rises when I see postings from persons who describe Mana Island as a family resort which is always full of kids. If you go in the school holidays then that is the case. However,we go for 3 weeks towards the end of October and there would be on an average less than 20 kids on the island and most would be toddlers. The vast majority of guests are couples.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

Totally agree.

We travel out of school holidays as well and there usually not that many kids at these times.

If you want to really see a ‘family’ resort, go to the Shangri La. This is where we went last time and it was full of kids running and screaming everywhere. Standing room only in the pool and dinner at the buffet was a nightmare. It wasn’t school holidays, so I would hate to see it if it was.

Nola ;)

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mana Island Reviews - polarising!

What I find weird with Manas bad reviews is how many people liked them, these last two bad reviews have got 22 likes each, is there some anti Mana group out there just waiting to press the like button lol