We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal package price increase

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Meal package price increase

Hello again,

When we booked our flights and accomodation for Mana we did not pay for the meal package (to help the cash flow situation). Our travel agent told us we could pay right up until when we left or even on the island.

We leave in 2 weeks and my husband rang up to pay yesterday and was told the meal package had nearly doubled in price!! It was going to cost us $344 for 4 days and now it is costing $644. This is only for lunch and dinner too as breakfast is already included.

I know that exchange rates have changed a fair bit in the last 8 weeks but this seems like a big change.

Does anybody know how much the island are charging for the meal package or the best way to contact them to find out?

Do you even think we should bother with the package at this price?

Thanks again for all your help!

Kelly.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Meal package price increase

There's a great bottle store opposite Rosies on the Queens Rd in Martintar in Nadi, that's between the airport and Port Denerau (megji's?), taxi drivers will know it. Remember all the resorts are subject to 17.5% government taxes, pretty unfair but there you go, so the bottle store should be heaps cheaper. Hope that's helpful if you want more than your duty free allowance?

Bear in mind that the resort may have quoted you a price for the meal plan before 17.5% tax; this may explain the price difference. But the equivalent meal plan at Treasure (the one where you already have brek included) is I think (don't quote me on this!!) $55 including tax, so that should be about right?

NZ
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Meal package price increase

My husband and I just returned from Mana a couple of days ago.

We had already opted NOT to get the meal package, as we wanted flexibility and also didn't think we would need to eat 3 meals a day. We were sooo right! We only ate 2 meals a day, usually lunch and dinner, and usually at the South Beach restaurant (ala carte, as opposed to buffet).

There is just no need to eat 3 huge buffet meals every day, especially when it's hot (30degC) and you aren't doing a lot!

The prices increased on our second day at the resort (on May 1st they increased all their food and beverage prices by 20% because of the drop in Fijian currency).

We stayed at Mana for 6 nights, and only spent $F600 on food & drink. We took our own snacks (chips, crackers, peanuts, etc) and drinks (coke, beer, bottled water) which we purchased from a supermarket on the mainland. I highly recommend doing this, as a bottle of coke at the resort will set you back $5.50 (we paid less than $2 at the supermarket). We treated ourselves to the cocktails or a glass of wine with dinner, but mostly stuck with water (not bottled) with our meals, which was free.

The only good reason to opt for the meal plan would be that kids eat free if adults are paying for the buffet. If we go again with our 2 boys, we would probably do that, as the South Beach restaurant didn't have many kid's meal options (from what I could tell from talking to other people who were there with their kids).

13. Re: Meal package price increase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:45 am, November 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island