We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

I have a stop over in Nadi planned for September and have been looking at taking the Malalo Cat as a day trip.

Are there any public beach areas on the Island to while away half a day. I would like to do some snorkeling but may take my own so no need to hire.

How many places are there to get some food or snacks etc

Cheers

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

Do you only have half a day? Not really long enough to go out to an island, a whole day yes. You can go for the day and you can use the beaches at Pl antation Island resort or Musket Cove, both on Malolo Lailai island. Food available but I would go to Musket Cove to eat. You can get a plane out to the island too which would give you more island time.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

On Malolo Lailai Island there are 3 resorts - (Musket Cove, Plantation & Lomani) There is a 'trader' (mini supermarket) at Musket Cove, coffee shop and restaurant/bar - Plantation has Ananda's restaurant, snack bars, mini supermarket, and restaurants/bar. Lomani also has restaurant/bar but not sure if day trippers can eat here - probably. If travelling on the Malolo Cat early in the morning, and back very late in afternoon, plenty of time to enjoy the Island. As Hooked On Fiji advises, best to stick to Musket for food. Take Fijian cash with you for any purchases.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

I have about 15 hrs to kill

The departure times for the Malolo Cat give me more of a less hurried time getting to and from the airport etc.

Just to clarify we can go onto any of the beaches but can enter the resorts pools etc without paying some fees etc.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

Forget Lomani it is strictly for guests of that resort except for dinner of an evening and you need to book to go there for dinner and it won't be applicable to you anyway.. Can't see a problem with using the pool at either Plantation or Musket Cove, they both accept day trippers who can use the resort facilities. At Plantation they don't accept cash in some areas so best to get food at Musket Cove, they have a great pool there too with swim up bar, great cafe nearby 'Anandas', and supermarket. Personally I would prefer to spend the day at Musket Cove. You will need Fiji dollars to buy food and drinks etc. We have used the resort facilities when visiting from another island resort with no problems so you will be fine. Go and enjoy.

Coomera, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

The scheduled flights to Malolo Lailai no longer operate (unless they have very recently been re-introduced). Might be able to get a charter or the sea plane though.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

If you do this trip stay on the ferry when it reaches Plantation Islands jetty, the next stop is just a couple of minutes up the island and will land you at Musket Cove. For cheap food visit the (currently temporary) coffee shack opposite the activities shed. You can buy a sausage roll Fj$3 or a pie Fj$7.50 or a vegetarian curried roti Fj$2. They do great iced coffees there too Fj$12. A few steps away is the Trader store (currently housed in joined together packing crates but still offering a wide range of goods). Purchase water, soft drinks, ice creams, chips etc from there.

Out past the island bar you'll find steps that lead into deeper water if the tide is out or, head back towards Plantation for good all tide swimming where their pontoon is located. The pool at MC is large and I've never seen them question anyone as to whether they are allowed to be using it. Take your own towel though, no point in complicating things by asking for one of theirs. Personally I don't think their cocktail list is up to much and their drinks are, overall, on the pricey side from the pool area but if you'd just like one or two beers it's not going to impact too much.

Make sure that they know that you're going as a day tripper when you book your fare... I think it's significantly less cost for a day tripper as opposed to someone who is going to be holidaying on the island.

7. Re: Malolo Lailai Island Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island