We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Island food

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Island food

I am concerned that I've read lots of reviews saying the food is bad at Plantation ...can anyone tell me what they have for breakfast buffet, and other meals. I do love a breakfast buffet, so will be v disappointed if its really bad. Travelling with 3 kids aged 3,6 and 8... Not sure about the meal plan...is it a good idea? Am tossing up between Mana and Plantation so if anyone has been to both recently, I'd be grateful for advice?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Island food

I have been to both resorts twice, though not recently, but within the last 2yrs. I would only ever head back to Mana now. Its nicer in every way. I think you would be disappointed in PIR. The staff are lovely, but the resort is terribly over developed and run down. Mana has gorgeous beaches, lovely staff, good food and great snorkelling straight off the beach.

Maree :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Island food

Thank you so much for this, really good to hear from someone who has been to both PI and Mana, so you can really compare.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation Island food

Mana would be my pick, much better food and accommodation and beaches.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation Island food

I can tell you that I have stayed at Plantation Island Resort with my wife and two children and can honestly say I would not stay there again. I found the staff extremely unhappy therefore service suffered accordingly.

The entire time we were there I felt as if the resort had there had in my back pocket.

The breakfast was just ok and the best meal of the day. We took to eating at Ananda'a Restaurant most nights as we couldn't stand the food in the dining area.

I am sorry but I am just being honest.

My vote would be with Mana

Baz

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation Island food

Hi, I travelled to both Plantation and Mana last August and in my opinion the buffet food at Mana Island was of a lot higher standard than the buffet food at Plantation. It was fresher, there was more choice but we did pay more for the meal plan at Mana so did expect better quality.

Our family enjoyed both resorts, snorkeling and beaches we felt were better at Mana, but kids enjoyed the bigger pools at Plantation and the nightly entertainment at Plantation started a couple of hours earlier than at Mana which suited our family better. We found the entertainment staff amazingly friendly at Plantation, so many kids when we stayed there yet Bale remembered my children's names every day and that was a huge highlight for them.

It was quite cheap to buy cans drink, water etc on Plantation and there is amazingly fresh cheap bread and cheese rolls etc to buy at the supermarket, but soft drink and water cost more on Mana. Hair braiding super cheap on Plantation. I would also find out about construction when you are traveling, when we were at Plantation there was a lot of construction work going on building new accommodation and a lot of noise and dust and we had to request a room change as they started at 7am and were still going at 7pm right outside our room. I have also heard that Mana are going to be doing major renovations but not sure when these are happening??

In short, I would go back to both resorts, but would not get a food plan at Plantation and not have the buffet there at all unless it has drastically improved since our last visit.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation Island food

I also reviewed both resorts after we got back if you wanted to check those out for a bit more info. Please feel free to ask any more questions!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation Island food

Thank you guys, it sounds like there is a resounding yes to Mana over Plantation...really has helped me, so thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantation Island food

One more question, would you do breakfast lunch and dinner meal plan? Or breakfast and dinner...or just breakfast. Bear in mind I have small kids who will need to eat between breakfast and dinner as they tend to do little and often eating, as opposed to my husband who will get his money worth out of breakfast and probably be fine with no lunch!!

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation Island food

re Mana - as from 1st April prices will go up (normal for all over Fiji resorts) and the meal plans being changed. For Kids - 6-12 years a meal plan is compulsory (I have been trying to get the word 'compulsory' clarified but to no avail) and they have to eat from the Buffet (3 times per day). I would not take a full meal plan (adults) unless you are huge eaters - it is too much food. Perhaps better to take a breakfast plan and pay for dinner at South Beach a la carte. Take plenty of snacks for the kids from home. Pizzas can be ordered as 'room service' during the day up until around 8pm - these are great. Up until 1st April the buffet (North Beach) is $65-00 per adult per person.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plantation Island food

You will be surprised at the amount of energy you'll use and how hungry you will actually get. We've always taken the three meal per day plan.

You don't seem to snack between meals, at least our kids didn't

Hope this helps

Baz