We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

To me it seems to be, the reviews are a nightmare to get an idea, with people who were there at the same times, in the same room types with reviews titled - Best Holiday Ever, and others saying, Terrible, never come here.

Its almost funny, how far apart some can be. I havent seen this elsewhere, usually bad is bad, good is good or its in the middle, PI seems to be a love/hate thing.

Quite interesting. Where else have you seen this?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

Personally if you have never been to Fiji be fore and don't know what else there is then you would probably think Plantation was great. It is in my opinion a family resort. Food not great . It is always featured as mentioned in 'specials'

generally that is a warning for me. So many, many resorts are never advertised as 'specials' as they are always well patronised!!!!! Get what you pay for as with most things.

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

It's all very subjective.

I took 4 adults and 3 kids to PIR in May and had a wonderful wonderful holiday.

We did our homework, researched all the options thoroughly (especially on here), and I used to live in Fiji so I knew what the island was like.

I made sure we had connecting beach bures on the 200 side so the kids could play out the front without bothering other people, and on the 200 side so there was always water out the front of the bures, we got the breakfast and dinner meal plan which I think was pretty good, no need for a big lunch.

The babysitting was top notch, the entertainment was great and the pools and water equipment were fine.

Really, we did not notice that we were in a 3 star resort because we switched onto island time, went with the flow and totally relaxed.

Yep it is a family resort, and it would have totally sucked if we were a couple with no kids, did no research and ended up in one of the hotel rooms near the main dining room.....

We are going back in 2012 with a bigger group, more kids, but will still have beach bures on the 200 side. (and take a couple of slabs of beer from the mainland……)

Can't wait!

Cheers

DK

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

I was just reading some more reviews of Sonaisali the other day and it too is either a Love it or Hate it kind of place. Expectations play a big role I think and when you narrow down to "Family" reviews - they all come out quite positive - so hopefully we won't be let down.........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

Having just read recent Shangri La Reviews - we stayed there again 28 Dec to 9 Jan - if you want to see the most polarising place check out these reviews. The crack up is got out of the pool dripping wet to find no towel? Isnt a towel one of the first things you make sure you have before you go in? Personally, we love the place - it suits our family, and we love the "iconic" staff - David at the Bilo Bar who took us on a personal tour of his village, Livia and Roza at kids club, the Bilo Bar Staff, "More Lucky Numbers" at Bingo.....I guess it is love/hate and we love!

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

Haha.. Plantation is one of those either love it or hate it places. We hate it. We love Shangri La. Our friends have the exact opposite view.

The big plus to this site, is having people's reviews to base your next holiday on... the down side, is having people's reviews to base your next holiday on. :):)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

I have found that people are more likely to complain about something if it goes wrong, but if they have a nice experience they are not so passionate about putting it on the record.

Some people will whinge about anything.

TA is a great tool, but you have to filter out the real TOOLS!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

Well the last review has me nervous, especially since we leave in 10 days! We are not expecting fancy, have read everything I can find on the place. Actually we really are not expecting much in the way of accommodation or food.... but we do expect clean sheets and towels. I sure hope this guy is just angry about his supposed room mix up, and feeling the need to vent.

sydney
Level Contributor
454 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

I agree with 41mum, it really irritates me when I read a bad review that notes they had a so-o-o-o-o much better time/ everything was perfect at the other places they stayed in..... so I like to read their other reviews, maybe get a handle on the types of places they like and get some perspective on the bad review and.....surprise! No reviews on the 5 star experience. This is wrong in so many ways, wrong that if you are "good" you don't get the recognition and wrong that only the 'bad" gets targeted.

The ones that make me laugh are the ones who claim they are on a world trip and this is the worst place they've been.... and the only one that warrants a review.

19. Re: Is Plantation Island the most polarising place on TA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 23, 2012