We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hunter Valley
Level Contributor
69 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

Hi eveyone. Thanks in advance - I hope some of the seasoned Plantation trippers may be able to help with this question.

We are heading to PIR on 23/01/10 as a family of mum, dad and our daughters aged 17 & 11. We have pre-purchased the b'fast, lunch & dinner meal plan. I have been advised by resort staff that our 11yo will need to dine at 5.30-6pm for dinner as this is 'children's dining time'. Do others know if there is any flexibility with this as this is quite a bit earlier than when we dine at home, and I think I would find it difficult to get her organised by that time. Not to mention that we will not want to eat at that time, so it would be a major inconvenience to have to do two completely different sittings. I understand that other diners may want to have their meal without kids around, but are there any concessions for older children?

Also, at risk of sounding like a wine-o, is cask wine available to buy on the island at all, and if so, how much is a 2 or 4L?

Cheers :)

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

Just read your review of your trip, and wondered if you managed to solve the "one child eating separately" thing while you were there, or if they were flexible about it? We're going later this year and have kids of 15 and 12 so will be n the same situation (although I think in our case the 15 year old counts as a "child" too, but not sure...)

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

We went with our 11 year old daughter and had the breakfast and dinner plan, sometimes she ate the kids meals, but most of the time she ate with us, you just use your vouchers.....she especially liked the food at Anandas...you can use your vouchers there too. We had lunch at the snack bar where they charge to your room.

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

Re: cask wine, I am a wine drinker too, was not too keen on the wine served at the bar, you cannot get cask wine there, i bought some bottles duty free before we left Australia, and there's also a supermarket at Denerau marina where you can buy alcohol. I guess you could just pack a cask in your suitcase, I was thinking of doing that next time!

Hunter Valley
Level Contributor
69 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

Having jsut returned, I can also answer my own question...

Our experience of the dining was that they were not flexible with the kids meals at all - I think that was because we had the "kids under 12 eat free" pink vouchers. Perhaps the flexibility others experience is becasue they are not using the pink vouchers - I'm not sure. We enquired, but were told it was not possible to 'upgrade' from the kids eat free vouchers to a kids paid voucher once we got there - perhaps pre-purchasing is the only option for this? The only other options was to buy another adult package or pay for her to have an adult meal. In the end we decided to make it work. As the resort was pretty empty they didn't have kids buffet most of the time - instead they had kids ala carte in the restaurant which meant as long as the kids ordered by 6.30pm you could eat together. She would then go off and play for a while when we had our main, and would come back for a second helping of dessert!

Re: the wine situation, I ended up packing a 2L cask in my suitcase and declared it at customs even though it wasn't over the duty free limits - I just wanted to be sure and I had some chips and chocolates as well. They asked me about it then waved me through. I ended up buying bottled wine ($26FJD) (much better than the glass wine which I suspect was watered down) which served me well for dinner with a little left over for the following afternoon!

5. Re: Plantation Island Resort- Dining with an older child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island