We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Island

Whangarei New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Island

Hi there, we the family of 4, kids 6 and 8, are going on our first family holiday to plantation island August 2007. I really wanted to go to castaway as I had been there as a child, but the price difference was major. Im really worried after reading some really bad reviews that I have made the wrong choice. Does anyone recommend which is the best beach front bures to stay in, are any better than others, and what is the weather doing in August? should we take our own life jackets for our little girls? Any information on how to make this a holiday of a life time would be so much appreciated. Also when are the Aussie school hols around that time are they in July?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Plantation Island

Hi RoxyNewZealand, Our family stayed at Plantation Island in September last year and l would be back there tomorrow if the finances allowed it. Unfortunatly it will have to wait till next year.

Dont worry about the life jackets as there was at least one of each of the kids sizes then. It was more the adults that had trouble finding a jacket to fit. The beach front bures that we saw were all good size and didnt appear to be much difference between them. The garden bures that we saw all appeared to be large as well.

We bought the Breakfast and Dinner meal package and then made our own lunches. We walked up to the little store near the airstrip and bought bread, butter and spreads and made sandwiches for lunch when we wanted it.

Oh and the Aussie school holidays are in July and the end of September so you will miss them.

Enjoy your trip to Plantation we certainly did.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Plantation Island

Altuin - we stayed in a beachfront bure in May last year. They are duplex, and although there was a couple with a young child right next to us, we hardly ever heard them. Pub7 always refers to the bures on the "200 side" of the resort, which is where we stayed (Room 206). Excellent spot. Relatively quiet, really nice bit of beach (swimmable at all tides). LOVED being able to walk a few metres out of our bure and into the beautifully warm water. If the budget won't permit a beachside bure, there were garden ones immediately behind them which might suit you down to the ground - quiet spot, only metres from the beach, but not too far from the main part of the resort. For me, I'd want to stay there rather than the garden bures in the area surrounding the new pool - I reckon it would be too noisy.

Zorcon

Wellington
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Plantation Island

Thnaks, Zorcon. It's more a question of availability than budget. I've been told that all other bures that would accommodate our family of five are booked (we're going in July, peak time). So the Studio Garden and Deluxe Garden Terrace bures appear to be our only option. Does anyone know where they are in relation to the beach or pool?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Altin,

I think you are doing the right thing in changing your plans.

What dates are you going to Fiji?

How many in your family and ages? What sort of holiday are you looking for?

This will help in my reply.

Cheers,

Grant.

Wellington
10 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Plantation Island

In the end I didn't change my plans. I went to a travel agent about getting into Plantation and it looked like it got too hard at this late stage, so we are stuck with Amunuca. We have 5 days booked from July 17 to 21 at the ShangriLa and then 4 days at Amunuca from July 22 to 25.

Our children are 11, 8 and 6.

What makes you say that we are best to change our plans? Have you heard anything more about Amunuca other than what's in the reviews and forums here? There has been nothing posted for a while about Amunuca.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Plantation Island

Altuin - there's a map on the plantation website (www.plantationrst.com I think - a bit confusing, as there appears to be 2 official plantation websites). Anyway, check it out - there's a map link on the home page from memory.

And for you Altuin, and Pub, and all the Fiji fanatics - have you all gone looking for your preferred resort on googlemaps yet? I just went looking, and felt very sentimental when I found Malolo Lailai Island: Plantation/Musket/Lomani, the golf course, the jetty, the three pools at Plantation, even the diving pontoons off the 2 beaches, with Malolo Island across the little strait, and I found the village on Malolo that we visited with the long school building. I also found Treasure Island (I think), and Castaway, where we're going to be staying this October. It's all very exciting, and will really whet the appetite of any of you who are getting the urge to go again. Go have a look.

Zorcon

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Zorcon. I'll do that. Thanks. Pub

18. Re: Plantation Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 13, 2007
Wellington
10 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Plantation Island

Thanks for the update on Amunuca. I've been keeping a close eye on the reviews and saw that one from Jabsey. There have been some more positive reviews recently, however, and I've had conversations with some of those posters. Jabsey's review, though only posted recently, related to a stay some months ago, as did the other one you posted. The more positive reviews are from more recent visits, so I'm hoping that they are lifting their game at the resort as time goes by. So I'm hoping a combination of that improvement and us having realistic expectations will mean the holiday experience is OK.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Altuin, I wouldn't be too worried about your holiday plans. The Fijian is fantastic so you will have a great start and then, like you, I believe Amunuca will have lifted their game since their disasterous opening. The review Grunter copied (from www.travelwithkids.co.nz by the way) was made by a family from California who stayed back in April when Amunuca was definately in a shambles (I was also there at that time for a day having a look around). However, even then, Amunuca by no means ruined that reviewers holiday. I was in close contact with her before and after her trip and because they went with realistic expectations they did not come back annoyed. We are also a family of five ourselves and I know only too well how hard it is to find suitable accommodation without paying a fortune for two rooms. In theory Amunuca provides a wonderful option for us and hopefully one day it will be a great resort. Just go with realistic expectations yourself and, after being on the Coral Coast, enjoy the beautiful beach and great snorkelling. Have a great trip!