We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Island

Whangarei New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Island

Hi there, we the family of 4, kids 6 and 8, are going on our first family holiday to plantation island August 2007. I really wanted to go to castaway as I had been there as a child, but the price difference was major. Im really worried after reading some really bad reviews that I have made the wrong choice. Does anyone recommend which is the best beach front bures to stay in, are any better than others, and what is the weather doing in August? should we take our own life jackets for our little girls? Any information on how to make this a holiday of a life time would be so much appreciated. Also when are the Aussie school hols around that time are they in July?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Roxy, me and my girlfriend have been to Plantation 11 times, we used to go in August but have not for 2 years now. The owner got very greedy and built too many new bures, it is now very crowded during peak times and in my opinion much charm has been lost. Still it can be a great place in the right circumstances. The best beach front bures are on the 200 side of the resort. Keep an eye out and I will post again on this thread and give you the names of all or most of our staff friends. you can tell them that you are friends of Mark and Sue from California. Cheers, Pub

P.S. August weather typically is very comfortable, not too hot. Nights can be a bit cool but I find it refreshing. Nothing worse than trying to sleep in an oven. daytime highs were usually around 27-30 cel. There is often alternating stretches of sunny and then overcast weather. Sunny weather usually lasts longer than the cloudy periods. I'm sure you will enjoy it, it is very popular with families from NZ and Australia. I have had a love affair with the South Pacific since 1980. Been to Tahiti (long time ago before it was ruined by ridiculous prices) Cook Islands and Samoa too. I loved Plantation dearly. In my opinion it has been overbuilt but you might not mind.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Roxy, NSW school holidays end mid July, most other states are a week or two around these. We went to Plantation island on an island hopping tour from Castaway island. We found it to be quite nice. We only visited but my husband thought it would be a good resort to stay at when we return to Fiji. The pools were nice, the beach was beautiful, the accommodation that we saw was good, you can go for long walks if you want. The staff were very friendly even though we were only day trippers.Every one is entitled to their own opinion but everyone is different as well, so those bad reviews were from someone who expected something different to what Plantation offers. Maybe they didn't research their trip too well and booked the wrong resort for them. Go and have fun and enjoy your holidays.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Roxy, I've been to Plantation twice now and am actually going in August/September myself this year.

I've read in some of the resorts about seaweed etc. I've never seen it so it must be the time of year that people choose closer to the Monsoon season. I normally go in May but we are going back at the end of August this time.

The kids will definitely love Plantation, the staff are lovely and have babysitting and hte kids club as well. We are friends with heaps of the staff there and they have been nothing short of amazing the times that we have been there, and even remembered us 1 year after our first trip by name (not bad for a resorts that sees thousands and thousands of people each year).

The boat shed has life jackets so you do not need to supply your own. I am completely at a loss to see why there is so many bad reviews about Plantation! We love it so much. I have never stayed in the Bures, we always stay in the hotel rooms as they are cheaper and give us all the conveniences that we need. However, I would definitely stay in the Bures to the left of the Island (the left side being when you are looking out onto the water).

I have hundreds and hundreds of photos from both our stays there and would be more than happy to email some of them through to you (or anyone that is reading this post that wants to see candid traveller Plantation Island photos, please just send me a message via my name link).

I have other posts about Plantation as well, so if you click on my name link, they should direct you to them.

As for making this the trip of a lifetime, if you love warm weather, beautiful aqua blue water, sunshine, wonderfully warm Fijian people and relaxing then this is the place for you.

Another tip is to get the meal vouchers, you can buy them when you arrive on the island. For breakfast and dinner only it is F$43 (A$35), not sure what that equates to in NZ$. And for breakfast, lunch and dinner it is approx F$65.

There is now a new pool as well, which has been completely mosaiced by hand (we saw them doing it the year before last, what a tedious job, but looks brilliant).

I honestly can not praise this place enough. To me it's paradise and wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world but Fiji!

Nat

NewZealand
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation Island

Hi, we went to pantation in April with our 2 kids and had a great time. I have been meaning to put up a review and will do soon. If you look at the last five or so reviews they are all great. I would say dont get the meal vouchers, then you can eat whatever you want and even walk down to Musket Cove and Lomani for dinner for a bit of a change. Plantation is an excellent choice for a family holiday.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation Island

Nat, so glad to hear from another Plantation fan. I loved it dearly, great beach and friendly staff. Our stayes averaged 3 plus weeks at a time and we made many friends there. I just wished they had not expanded so much. To us, people who first went in 1994, it has become too crowded. Sadly we are unable and frankly unwilling to go at the slower times when the expansion would be minimized. Cheers, Pub

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation Island

Hi there again!

Roxy, if you do wish to get the meal vouchers, you can chose from their buffet menu or from a selected al a carte menu as well. You can purchase the vouchers when you get to Plantation, so you can get none, a few, or just order and pay straight from the full al a carte menu each time (but it can be more expensive)! There are a lot of posts that say that as well. Vouchers are more economical and we have always had heaps of food to choose from. You definitely won't go hungry.

Also, if you wanted to go to Lomani for dinner one night and you have vouchers, you can actually use them (you get $50 off the total price). It is however a quite restaurant, but being an adults only resort, if you wanted to get your children babysitters for the night, it is a lovely romantic night out. The staff at Plantation will even come and pick you up in a little buggy to take you there and pick you up! It is easily in walking distance, but the buggy definitely makes for the beginning of a great evening.

So glad that everyone else who has replied has loved Plantation as well!

Nat

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Nat, for our family, Plantation is heaven on earth. We went there for the 1st time in March 06 and are heading back there in June this year and can hardly wait. The staff were really fantastic with our two young boys and my husband and I felt that we had time to relax as well. I am starting the count down...

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantation Island

To all, I'm starting to get hunger pangs for a return to Plantation. So happy for you all. If it just wasn't for the expansion... Please say hello to all the staff from their old friends Mark and Sue.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation Island

Hi Roxy and all who replied to this post.

I've been to Plantation twice. The first time was thrilling and it was not school holidays. The last time was an August holiday and we had two kids so it was a different experience and one we cherish all the time. I'm sure you will love it there and as you haven't been before, it will be an adventure. A great way to get to know other islands if you get the chance, go on a hop around in a boat (ask someone if it can be arranged, if it's not on offer). You have to pay of course but it gives you a taste of other places you may wish to visit in future. We do this every time and you see heaps more.

So go forth and enjoy. All the best.

Wellington
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Plantation Island

While making useful comments, I notice not too many of the people that posted back actually answered RoxyNewZealand's questions. I too have a question about the accommodation at Plantation. We're considering bailing out of Amunuca due to all the bad reviews and have been told we can get either a Studio Garden Bure or a Deluxe Garden Terrace (presumably bure?) for slightly more $. Does anyone have any opinions on these bures?