We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry or seaplane?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry or seaplane?

Hi

I've really enjoyed learning about the island and resorts from various forums going back to 2005.

We are due to stay at Plantation Island during August. Could anyone advise me on getting there from Nadi? I have received info about the Malolo Cat but have been unable to get a price for the seaplane. It seems that Sun Air has gone out of business.

We are a family of five with older children and lots of luggage (it will be our fourth week out from the UK). How much of a hassle is it getting off the seaplane? Someone mentioned hiring a boat to get to the shore. Is that really necessary?

I've read a great deal about choosing the right accomodation. Can anyone please recommend a bure to sleep 5 (youngest 13). Garden, studio or beachfront and which number to get great views of the ocean and beach (we like a quieter area). Are they flexible with putting an extra bed (rollaway) in the 4 berth bures?

Thanks for your help.

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

Hi ho RobinHood,

Well i would have to say that the man for this job is...PUB...he loves Plantation and a wealth of info regarding everything to do with it.

Regarding your transfers..The Malolo Cat leaves Denarau at 10.30am..2 pm...5 pm. They advertise that they give transfers from airport to Denarau and then the trip over to Plantation for $80 for single,twin or triple and children are $42.00.

There is also a company called..Pacific Island Seaplane, they also go to Plantation Island, their baggage allowance is 20kgs per person. Im not sure if Sun Air has gone out of business but they still advertise their cost....from Nadi airport..$120.00 pp and $69.00 per child.Luggage allowance is 15kg per person.Return helicopter transfers are $424.00pp and the same for children. It may pay you to phone Plantation as they may be able to give you better prices or advise what one may be better.

Im sure my mate Pub will be able to help you regarding your accom. and advise you on which rooms are better suited for your family.

Hope this helps and enjoy your planing.

Cheers....Warwick..9 more sleeps, but who's counting.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

Great! Many thanks Warrick - I've read many of your other posts, which have given me the confidentce to book for Plantation Island.

Pub seems to be the font of all knowledge regarding Malolo - I'll hope to hear soon.

cheers!

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

Hi ho,

You are more than welcome, and i hope you have a fantastic holiday at Plantation. Just to let you know that Musket Cove Resort is in walking distance to Plantation Island and worth the look. It is based at the Marina and has its own shop..they sell lovely hot bread there and has alot of daily needs for sale as well. There is a place called the $3.50 bar there and worth dropping in for a drink, prices great and service worth it. We stayed there for 12 days and loved it. Your children can have a swim there too if it gets too frantic at Plantation.Lovely big pool at Musket Cove. Plantation and Musket Cove are seperated by the Airstrip.

Well take care and i hope my mate Pub sees this and lets you know all you need to know...

Cheers....Warwick

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

What type of room depends onwhat you want to pay. The beachfront bures on the sunset side are the best 'and the most expensive. Check out the website for Plantation I'm sure that will be helpful. Plantation is a big resort and you are better off in bure close to the beach as it can be a bit of a hike back to those on the outer perimeter. There are some nice garden bures along the northern seawall. It is a great resort for families.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

please can you let me know about the cat to the island please? is there a web site we can get to? thanks....Jenny

Toulouse, France
Destination Expert
for New Caledonia
Level Contributor
907 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

I'll also go to Plantation in june and here are all the info I could get about tranfers :

- Malolo Cat is operated by the Musket Cove Resort, three times/day and free transfers from NAN airport and Nadi area.

°50$ one way, 100$ return, 25/50 for children.

°Denarau > Plantation : 10:30 14:00 17:00

°Plantation > Denarau : 8:50 12:20 15:30

°Duration : 1 hour

°No booking possible, you have to pay your seat at Denarau Marina or NAN (c.card accepted).

°Website (with timetable) : http://www.musketcovefiji.com/transfers.html

- Sun Air does not exist anymore, it has been bought by the Int'l Fiji airline Air Pacific and has been rebranded Pacific Sun.

°84$ one way adult, double for return (a bit less for children), sometimes less, sometimes more.

°One flight every two hour : NAN > PTF (malololailai) 7:00 9:00 11:00 13:00 15:00 17:00

°PTF > NAN 7:25 9:25 11:25 13:25 15:25 17:25 duration 10min.

°Plane : 8 seater Britten Norman BNZ2A Islander

°Booking : via email (see on the website below) or at your travel agent, as Pacific sun is connected to Amadeus network.

°Website : http://www.pacificsun.com.fj/ (note that prices on the website are only for fijians)

- Turtle Airways provides dedicated seaplane transfer

° For family of 5, it would be around 800$ one way (for us it is 770 for a family of 4)

°They are located a the end of the main runway of the int'l airport, take off few minutes after your arrival

°Plane : 5 seater Cessna 206 or 7 seater DHC-2 (dehavilland canada beaver), in good conditions (the DHC-2 have been bought in 2000-2001-2002)

°Booking : via email, see on their website (and be veeery patient ! "fijian time")

°Website : http://www.turtleairways.com/

- Pacific Islands Seaplanes provides approximately the same, excepted that they are based directly at the int'l airpot. So you don't have to go to the seaplane base, but you don't take of from water...

°Nearly the same prices than Turtle, for us it was just 2 $ more !

°As they have bigger planes, you can ask for shared plane : if they find other people for the same destination, the same day/time, you will pay less.

°Plane : 7 seater DHC 2 beaver or 10 seater DHC-3 single otter.

°Booking : email (or form on their website, don't hesitate to use both, fijian time again !)

°Website : http://www.fijiseaplanes.com/

And my choice : Turtle to go to Plantation (as I prefer to take off from water, and they seem to have - smaller but - better maintained planes), Pacific Sun for return, to be sure to be on time for the connecting flight to come back home.

Hopping it will help you and other people !

PS: sorry for my poor English, my mother tongue is French (I live in new caledonia !).

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

Hi Robinhood20, for the bure information I suggest you check out the Plantation Island web page on www.travelwithkidsonline.com. All room and bure types take up to 2 adults and 3 children (aged under 16 years) by using rollaways, with the exception of the beachfront bures which sleep a maximum of 4. With a family of five myself I know they are really strict about it and do not make exceptions which is a shame. Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

Thanks for all the advice. Finally opted for the Musket Cove Resort because it seems more tranquil and had larger accommodation with cooking facilities for a family of five. Also negotiated a free night in a villa, similar to that offered by Plantation Island. Appreciated all the advice about avoiding the full meal package and will probably combine self catering with sampling food from each resort on the island. Booked transfers via Malolocat.

thanks everyone.

9. Re: Ferry or seaplane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 29, 2009