We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation or Malolo?

Which Malolo Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation or Malolo?

I'm planning a trip with two kids 11 & 13 for August 2013.

Research says Malolo Resort is excellent, but expensive and Plantation Resort is "ok", cheaper and geared more to acccomodating kids/families.

Can anyone help with opinions/info? I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

In this case you really do get what you pay for. Malolo is lovely and the best choice if you can afford it. Plantation is a large spread out resort. The accommodation is OK but ask for a bure close to the water otherwise you can have a hike to the beach, dining etc. We used to go there years ago but find it just too big and too many kids now and were not impressed with the food though if you don't lock into the meal plan you can eat at Musket Cove or Anandas further around the island. . Nice location and pretty lagoon. I would look at Mana as another cheaper option.

Melbourne...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Thankyou for feedback!

I guess I'm chasing an "all-rounder", I can afford Malolo, but concerned that the kids won't have activities to keep them amused for 10 days. It looks like they can mix with local culture though, which would be fantastic.

Mana looks nice, but small?

I'm hoping to avoid western style if I can

decisions....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Because your kids are 11 and 13 (and Aussie kids), I would actually recommend that you look further afield and consider either Blue Lagoon Beach Resort or Oarsmans Bay Lodge. These two resorts are on Nacula Island in the Yasawa Islands. It is on the best beach in Fiji, in a sheltered bay and is pretty much like a mill pond. There is a fantastic coral shelf along the left side of the beach and low lying coral on the right. The centre part is clear blue water with sand. There are heaps of things to do and this is more of a true Fijian experience. Oarsmans is owned and ran by the Fijians while Blue Lagoon Beach Resort is owned by a NZ couple and ran by a couple of aussies. I have been to this island 11 times now and also add 1 or 2 other new resorts every year to see if anything better has been found / built - to date nothing has. All the kids who stay at this resort absolutely fall in love with it and parents can't get them out of the water. You can walk 1 metre into the water and have fish around you. Plantation Island is pretty much a "package deal factory" for families = 3 star, no culture and pretty dated.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Have a look at the website for Octopus Resort. The resort offers a wide range of accommodations and budgets.

http://octopusresort.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Octopus is nice, however the beachfront is coral. The only real swimming area with sand is the boat channel, which is not a safe space for children. Octopus does have a pool, however I would not be spending the $$ for my children to have an experience around a pool they can have at home.

I would choose Plantation over Octopus, solely for the beach and children's activities.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Hello, we have just returned from Malolo and loved it. You do get what you pay for! One thing to be aware of is that the kids club is for ages 4 to 12 years only.

Good luck with your choice. We will be reviewing Malolo soon and will be getting high scores.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

Mana is not small, its actually as big or bogger than PIR.

Our kids love it there. Plenty to do and a great kids club. Also so much nicer than Plantation.

Maree :D

8. Re: Plantation or Malolo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 22, 2013