We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when to go to Malolo Island

Which Malolo Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
when to go to Malolo Island

We are looking at going to Malolo Island next year but can't decide which time of year. Looking at June or September, is one better than the other. We want to spend a lot of time snorkeling.

Can any one tell me if the snorkeling is really good there.

Also, I heard that you can paddle over to Castaway Island from Malolo, is this true.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
199 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

Hi, Any of those dates will be fine.

We stayed there in November last year and had a great time.

We snorkeled everyday straight off the beach and it was good. We did a outer reef snorkel which didn't cost much and it was awesome, so much reef and heaps of different fish including nemo fish which the kids loved.

We jumped on kayaks and paddled over to Castaway and spent some time there in the pool etc and even played beach volleyball.

It took a good 1/2 to a 3/4 of an hour to paddle over but we had kids on our kayaks so this slowed us down abit. Speak to Suli the activity guy about doing a paddle over to Castaway Is and he will get a group to go over.

We loved it over there.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

To paddle via kayak to Qalito Island, where Castaway Resort is situated is over a kilometre. I'd agree with Sweetkerrie, go with a group, not by yourself, as it can get windy, and hard to paddle a kayak with the tide running against you. ( experienced kayakers excluded from my remarks)

Perhaps someone is thinking about Wadigi Private Island, just south east of Malolo Resort about 400 metres from Malolo jetty?

Edited: 5:20 am, April 04, 2011
Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

June and September are both shoulder season months, and are fairly similar in terms of temps. The last week of September is school hols which can get busy!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

Thank you so much. I forgot to mention that we will have a 6 and 8 year old with us. I originally wanted to go to Castaway as i thought the snorkeling would be better but it was out of our budget - so I'm glad we can still paddle there and have a look.

Do you know if June is more windy than September.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

August is the worst for westerly winds from my experience, and Malolo Resort is on the western side of Malolo Island.

Wished I could predict weather but June and mid Sept seem good times to visit

LTB

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me if June is more windy than September. I have read some reports about the beach being windy at Malolo at certain times?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

Thank you for the info

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

I would opt for September. June can be pretty cool even in the tropics.

Malolo isn't that far from Malolo but would still be a good paddle away it is possible. I would talk to the staff at Malolo be fore attempting it. The south east trade winds are generally the prevailing winds between May and October and as Malolo faces west you should be pretty sheltered however storms and winds can crop up from almost any direction. Mostly we have had great weather.

9. Re: when to go to Malolo Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, October 25, 2012