We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Hello Again! I'm loving this Trip Forum - SO much quicker than waiting for replies from the travel agency!! :) I notice that in a lot of reviews they suggest taking snacks etc from the mainland to the islands etc. We are not spending anytime on the mainland and will be transferring directly from the airport to the ferry for our transfer to Malolo. Is there anywhere at the ferry terminal or even the airport where we will be able to buy snacks etc! Thanks Everyone! Keri

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

I shopped at Yee's Supermarket, Denarau 2 weeks ago. Funnily some things are cheaper like some chilled soft drinks, UHT milk, and some of the alcohol, and snacks but things like coffee and cheese were very expensive.

They are open on Sundays, but must admit I was not there before 9.00am, lol, I was on holiday. I suggest buying only what you can't bring from home, because of the weight, eg drinks, both soft and hard including water, even wine there is cheaper than island resorts, about F$20-to whatever depending on the wine. I think they are open before 9.00 am but check.

here's their email, perhaps email and ask hours yeescs@connect.com.fj

Bring vegemite, coffee, snack foods etc from home and declare food on the way in. They have never checked ours.

There's also a newsagent which sells some drinks and snacks as well as newspaper, clothing, books etc. It's entrance is on the outside across from the taxi rank and next to Yee's supermarket.

Better still get your taxi etc to stop at the supermarket at Namaka about 3 k from the airport on the way to Denarau, much cheaper items there.

Buy other alcohol and water at the duty free at Nadi just past the arrivals customs area.

Any other questions happy to answer if I can.

Edited: 6:44 am, August 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Yees Expressmart at Denarau is open from 7am to 7pm Sun to Thurs and 7am to 8pm Fri & Sat.

Nola :)

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Lifetraveller,

Was there fresh fruit at the supermarket? We'll bring some dried fruit from home but would like to grab whatever's fresh and available at the time if possible from the port's supermarket.

thanks,

~ Mel

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
199 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Hi lifetraveller and Nola,

Thanks for that, I did email the store and they said 7am so will be able to get supplies before heading over to Malolo.

Can't wait to get over there as we haven't stayed on one of the Islands before only on the coral coast three times.

After Malolo Island heading to the Naviti

Can't wait.

Thanks Kerrie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Hi Kerrie - Make sure you do a review when you get back! All feedback is great! :) I'm very jealous, I've got a while to go before we head off (have to get through Xmas yet!). I hope you have a great time.

Cheers

Keri

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

You will love Malolo, Kerrie. Very jealous!! Have to wait till this time next year for my 'Fiji Fix'

Nola :)

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

They do have fresh fruit, but not much at all, can't tell you the prices as I never looked. They have a good deli section with fresh meat, eggs etc. The cheapest place to buy fruit is at the Nadi Markets, but you may not have time to get there

have a wonderful trip and holiday.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

Thanks - just thought we might as well grab a few pieces of fruit before head off for 6 nights.

19. Re: Buying Snacks on the Mainland for the Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 01, 2011