We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

Hi all, just wondering if any of you experts or just someone who has been to Malolo can give me an idea of what the beach is like at Malolo? I have children so I would like for them to play in the sand and walk around barefoot. The resort sounds perfect but I am a little worries about the sand

Thanks

Kat

Mentioned in this post
Malolo Island
Malolo Island
Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

Hi Kat,

I've read through all of the reviews of Malolo, and also from what my mum remembers from staying years ago, it does seem as though the sand is quite coarse and crunchy rather than fine, and almost pinky in colour. We are going to Malolo in 8 weeks on our other family's recommendations who stay out of habit at Treasure Island but "made" us book in to Malolo. My 10yr cousin said "you have to stay on Malolo, the beach is awesome" We have kids and I'm putting in sturdy beach footwear, because the sand also gets very hot on the islands!

We've also stayed on Castaway and Plantation and you kind of have to pick your way around in the water on both of those islands because of the coral.

Hope this is of some help,

Sarah.

Mentioned in this post
Malolo Island
Malolo Island
Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
Treasure Island Resort
Treasure Island Resort
926 Reviews
Treasure Island, Fiji
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

We stayed at Malolo in April, although I brought over reef shoes, the kids aged 4 & 5 didn't need them. See my review, happy to help with any other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Malolo Island
Malolo Island
Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

The sand in Fiji is naturally coarse, as it is made from coral, its not your nice fine white beach sand. None of what we have come across is sharp, so your kids will be fine.

All our kids run around the beach with no shoes on whenever they are in Fiji. Its just a different texture to the lovely white fine sand.

Enjoy your stay in Fiji. :)

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Victoria
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

Hey, yeah the sand at malolo is sort of half sand half coral, but barre feet not a problem. It tends to be better further along from the main watersports area.

Don't miss out on some awesome snorkelling right off the beach! Just head down along the beach away from the watersports hut (towads the bulk of the accommodation huts) and jump in, I saw some incredible stuff within metres of the beach!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

Small but nice.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

As has been said the sand is great for walking around in. There are parts of the beach that are better than others for entering the water. Some parts there are rocks but others the sand goes in further which would be suitable for kids. Regardless of that, the children have their own pool and the kids club looks like it is terrific!!

7. Re: Malolo island resort beach what's it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 03, 2009