We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Junegrass?

katy, tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Junegrass?

Does the Orange Beach Perdido Key area get the junegrass that Destin is getting now? Also what is the water quality there now? Can't decide whether to come to Destin or OB/PK in mid-Oct.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Junegrass?

No, we do not get June Grass here. Sadly I haven't been to the beach in a while so I can't answer the clarity question. Offshore the water was beautiful though.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Junegrass?

In over 20 years of coming down to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores we have never seen the green slime that is June grass. Seaweed yes, but not June grass. In the last 5 years we have gotten burned by June Grass in Destin twice and we no longer risk going there during the summer. The last time we experienced it there the water turned into a thick pea soup, there were hundreds of dead fish everywhere, and mounds of the stuff accumulated on the shore several feet thick. Interestingly, little is ever reported about this in the media, but you can go to the Destin travel forum and read all about it.

katy, tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Junegrass?

Yes, it seems that parts of Destin are having it now along with the brown water that is coming in during low tide from the bay. I've been going to Destin for many yrs and love the emerald green water but have discovered Perdido Key a few yrs ago and love the quiet, wide sandy beach and the old florida feel of the place. I just wish there were more dining options. Next time will venture over to Orange Beach to try out some of the many options Ive seen discussed here. The only thing I dont like about PK is the water is a bit rough for swimming and its often murky. I like being able to see the bottom like you could in Destin(or if any sharks are coming at me for that matter!)

4. Re: Junegrass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 15, 2014