We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunder on the Gulf

Which Orange Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
K D
NEA
1 post
Save Topic
Thunder on the Gulf

Arriving next week, just found info on powerboat races in Orange Beach. Staying at the Admiral's Quarters. Does the boat racing force people out of the water? I can imagine it will increase beach traffic.... Has anyone watched them before, opinions? Thanks

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunder on the Gulf

You will be able to swim off the beach as the race course is offshore. They may or may not allow swimmers close to the marina at Caribe where everything will be staged. I have seen them before and not being a racefan it was still fun to watch. You need to be on a boat or at the very least high in a condo to get the best views of the race. To me watching some of the helicopters that follow the boats just feet above them is more interesting. They have historically had a meet and greet and the dry pits will be at the Wharf marina with the racing village. There will be kids' activities, a bikini contest and they are offering VIP passes as well. The VIP viewing will be from the penthouse in Turquoise, pretty nice is an understatement. They also have shuttles to and from Live Bait and Island House. Live Bait's owner is also the founder of the Gulf Coast Powerboat Association. It will attract some tourists and the weather has really been outstanding the last few weeks anyway. Hers's a link to the website for this year's race...

http://www.thunderonthegulf.com

2. Re: Thunder on the Gulf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 31, 2014