We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mullet toss

Which Orange Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Mullet toss

We will be driving to Orange Beach from the airport in Pensacola on Saturday April 27th, should we avoid the Florabama area?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mullet toss

Where are you staying?

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mullet toss

Right near Winne Dixie..if it's only a minor delay I am not worried, just curious if it ever gets real backed up?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mullet toss

If you come from PNS in the late morning/early afternoon then I would seriously consider taking Hwy 98 to the Foley Beach Express and take that route to your destination. The area around FB gets very congested and coming west on the Florida side it is one lane. Take into account that I am a vocal non-fan of the Flora Bama and rarely, if ever, recommend anyone actually go there.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mullet toss

Having worked at the Flora-Bama for twelve years, yes it will be crowded. The majority of traffic will be coming from Orange Beach so if you wanted to come down Perdido Beach Blvd you would have the better direction of flow, if that helps. If you are interested in getting to your condo then I would not risk it. Take Hwy 98 to Elberta and turn left onto Co. Rd 20. When it intersects with the Foley Beach Express turn left and go south into Orange Beach. Turn left again when it dead ends on Canal Rd. Two miles down take a right on Hwy 181. Two miles later you will be on Beach Rd just a block from the Winn-Dixie.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mullet toss

Thank you Robert..

DFW
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mullet toss

Robert C. You gave great information. Wondered if you could help us the opposite way? We'll be coming from Mississippi thru the mobile area headed to east Perdido Key. Any advice for avoiding crazy Saturday traffic?

Love the info from the locals. Thanks!

Tam

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mullet toss

You will be coming east on I-10 I assume? There are a few different routes you can take to get closer to the beach and avoid traffic on Hwy 59 South into Gulf Shores. I usually take Route 181 South. (Yes it is the same name as above but they are different roads). You will get off I-10 at the Malbis exit on 181. It is either the second or third exit past Mobile Bay. The road is about fifteen miles to Hwy 98 East. You will cross Weeks Bay and then come through Magnolia Springs and into Foley. Cross over Hwy 59 and continue through Elberta and Lillian, Al. In Lillian you then cross the Lillian Bridge into Florida. About three to four miles into Florida you will look for Bauer Rd on your right. It is about forty miles from 181 to Bauer Rd. There is a Hardees and a grocery store there. Take that right and follow until you come to Sorrento Rd, about ten miles. Turn right and keep straight. Sorrento Rd. will become Perdido Beach Blvd when it crosses the Theo Baars bridge into Perdido Key on the island. You could also take Hwy 59 south off of I-10 in Loxley, Al. and then right on Hwy 98 in Foley and follow the rest from there. The advantages/disadvantages are Hwy 59 is a four lane road and is pretty much a straight shot but traffic on 59 can be a nightmare sometimes and that is unpredictable. It always gets backed up around Foley. There are lots of antique stores and kitsch along the way though. Hwy 181 is a no frills country backroad but it is also a straight shot to Hwy 98 and there will no doubt be less traffic. Hwy 98 tends to get a lot of yard sales along the route between Foley and Florida so there may be some traffic but nothing unbearable by any means. Have a nice vacation.

DFW
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mullet toss

Thank you for the great information. We are very excited to explore the Gulf coast. Your advice will be a huge help!

9. Re: Mullet toss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 09, 2014