We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive ideas for fun

michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive ideas for fun

We are heading to Orange Beach this fall. We always balance our trips with some of the paid attractions and some great local inexpensive things to do. Anything in the area (besides the beach...that is on our daily list :) that would be less expensive to do? We have 6 kids (12 and under), if that helps.

The oldest is asking about any fish hatcheries? We've done that on our travels before and they all love it.

Any ideas or help would be great! Thanks so much!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
579 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

Take the Fort Morgan ferry to Dauphin Island and visit the Sealab. Fort Morgan itself might be interesting for them too. Waterville in Gulf Shores is a water theme park. The Track on Hwy 59 has bungee jumping/go-karts/mini-golf. The zoo in Gulf Shores, "The Little Zoo That Could" from the Discovery Channel has a white tiger breeding program and a Zoo Babies program that my kids love and we go there often. Sam's Fun City in Pensacola is another theme park. The National Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS has an incredible world class museum and IMAX, plus Fort Barrancas and the Lighthouse. Historic Pensacola Village will highlight 1700's Pensacola. Alligator Alley in Robertsdale is an alligator farm with raised walkways, the kids would like that. They have the world record gator there, Cap'n Crunch! There is always the state pier for fishing.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

head over to pensacola to the naval air museum ..Home of the blue angels,,

Free and lots of fun

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

Definitely go to Pensacola for the Naval Air Museum--it's fun and free! You can also check the practice schedule for the Blue Angels and hopefully get to see them practice on a Tuesday or Wed. morning. They are fabulous!

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach both have some really nice playgrounds that are free! We've taken our son to the one in GS many times and it always kept him amused for a bit. Your older child might not enjoy it that much, but I'm thinking the younger kids might like them (both playgrounds are very similiar looking so I'd go to the one closet to you). Oh, the one in GS has nice shade around it.

Lots of people go to Lulus and let their kids play in the sand area there. We haven't been in many years and have never taken our child, so I can't vouch for it personally. However, my plan this year is to go and let him play and at least visit the gift shop area (he wants a t-shirt b/c he's a JB fan! and Lulu's is the best I can do right now), even if we don't stay to eat (depending on the crowd and wait time).

One other idea--crabbing at night! This is free, although your kids will want flashlights to help spot them. We have a cheap net we got at Walmart or Walgreens and always take that out too--but we never catch anything. It's fun though!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,843 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

On 98 between Fairhope and Foley at Fish River is the Estuarine Center...free ed center and boardwalk, nearby is the pitcher bog

michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

Thank you all so much!! So many new ideas for me to check out.

With our large family, many times even cheap attractions are a 100.00 or so to get everyone in. So, we always try to balance our trips with some days being less expensive or free activities. Sometimes it is those simple things the kids end up loving the best :)

I appreciate everyones help! Looking forward to our fall trip.

6. Re: Inexpensive ideas for fun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Orange Beach
Recent Conversations