We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil Spill Effects

Which Orange Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mt. Holly, NC
1 post
Save Topic
Oil Spill Effects

Hi! We are considering Orange Beach for a family vacation later this summer and live in NC. Can we get an honest assessment regarding the oil spill and its effects on the beach/area. Can we swim, play in the water, fishing impact, etc?

Thanks!

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oil Spill Effects

No one was harder on the gulf shores tourism page on face book than me last summer,

We were there the weekend it first washed onshore,

It was bad last summer, and I can see why you would be concerned.

We just got back this year at the end of may.

I can say that the beaches are in pristine shape,,

We saw tons of schools of fish, seagulls, dolphins, bigger fish, ect..

The water was clean, really didn't see any tar balls , and when the seaweed washed up , it was clean and healthy looking

I would not think twice about coming back to orange beach/gulf shores,

We're going back for a few days in September,

Have a great trip...

se kansas
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oil Spill Effects

We are staying out on Fort Morgan now. It is wonderful! The beach is great, the water is beautiful and the weather is perfect! So glad that the area is back on track!

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oil Spill Effects

We went to Gulf Shores late last summer (end of July, start of August), and I'd never seen the water so clear. You really had to search for tar balls to find any, and when you did it was like a dark silly-puddy consistency, wasn't really anything causing any sort of annoyance.

You could find dark patches of sand in the water where you could tell some oil had settled.

But even 10 months ago...it was in considerably better shape than earlier!

India
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oil Spill Effects

every Thing is well and good . I have visited few months before. Water was clean, Good weather with bird watching. Clean swimming No major concerns with the oil spills.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oil Spill Effects

We were there Memorial Day weekend (2011) and everything was fine.

We were there November 2010 and BP crew was still there cleaning up every day, although even then it did not affect our trip at all. But now even the BP crew seems to be gone.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oil Spill Effects

Oh, here is a video we shot Memorial Weekend too if you want to see for yourself, the water was clear as can be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1RjmYSLa-A

Barnard, Missouri
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oil Spill Effects

We saw the Mississippi coast in 2010 after the oil spill and were able to visit Orange Beach the first week of July, 2011. The only evidence of oil that we found was inside several of the small shells. We swam and played in the sand. We collected a lot of shells and I would say maybe 1 in 20-30 of the small (nickel sized) shells had oil stuck inside them. It was nothing like last year where you could see the oil in the water and see tar balls on the beach. It was crowded when we were there. We also went walk-on boat fishing and caught healthy red snapper. I would say other than making sure you look over what shells the kids collect, Orange Beach is just as it was before the oil spill.

Boulder, Colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Oil Spill Effects

We're currently vacationing in Orange Beach (first time since 1994!). After two days on the beach, I have not seen any evidence of oil. We've spent most of our time in the water with the kids (ages 3 and 6). We looked into doing a similar trip last year but canceled because of the oil. I'm so glad that we're here now!

9. Re: Oil Spill Effects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:37 am, August 08, 2011
Edited: 8:37 am, August 08, 2011
10. Re: Oil Spill Effects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 02, 2012