We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Conditions

St. Louis, MO
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Water Conditions

Our family will be vacationing on Orange Beach starting this Saturday. We have a timeshare and absolutely love the area!!

Normally we are down there during spring break and this will be our first summer. We are true beach lovers and haven't missed a trip to the beach in the last 10 years. Here is my question...

One of our neighbors just came back from the gulf and said there was a huge outbreak of bull shark spottings. Is this an issue?

We have a large inflatable island that we ususally bring with us that has an anchor and we love to put it out about 30 yards from the beach..... do you see any issues with this this time of year....

Thank you in advance,

Kari

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Conditions

I haven't heard anything about a "huge outbreak" of anything other than tourists. :)

Sharks are always in the Gulf. Haven't heard of any shark incidents so far this year. There will probably be a couple because some people insist on going in the water at dawn and dusk when sharks like to eat.

I wouldn't worry about it any more this year than in the past.

St. Louis, MO
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Conditions

Thank you! Like I said, we are regular beach goers and have never had any issues. You are very helpful! Any advise on any differences in weather/water from March and June? (other than heat)?

Also, in looking at the 10 day forecast, it is saying that chance of storms jumps from 10% to 60% next Wednesday and for the remainder of next week. Anything major brewing that we haven't heard about up here in STL?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Conditions

Unless someone uses the "H" word, I don't pay much attention to long range weather reports. When it's hot down here (and it is) we get a few afternoon and evening thunderstorms, some of them quite exciting. As opposed to three or four years ago, there are now more things to do on a rainy day than the Foley outlet mall. We've added 20 something theater screens and a couple of new shopping venues.

We moved down here in 2001 from St Charles to get away from the weather you live with...

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Conditions

We were there last week and never heard of any shark trouble...

The waves were really big, and the temps were good...

and the water temps were nice and cool...

There were two children that were missing, walked away from their parents, One was four, they found her a mile or so down the beach...

and the other was on a different day and they found her about half a mile way...

And a woman almost drowned if front of me, The red flags were raised right after ,,,,

Other than that it was perfect............

So sad to be back home in tornado alley....

central arkansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Conditions

We just got back from Orange Beach, and we did see a shark! It was only a few feet from the bank. The crowd of beach goers excited the water for an hour or so, and all was well.

We have to remember that sharks do live in the water, and just be on the look out for them. That was the only shark citing that we heard of all week.

The water was clear, and it was easy to see what was lurking in the water. The helicopter flew over after the citing, and the flag was never changed to purple.

Just keep your eyes open, and all will be well.

Have a fun trip!

Atlanta
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Conditions

Interesting! Where did you see it? How big? What kind? Any idea?

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Conditions

I was told by a member on another board, that a family member that lives in Alabama, told them that the beaches have been closed several times in the past few days because of bull sharks...

The person that told me decided not to go to the coast next week....

I would go anyway...

I don't tend to get very deep in the water, If at all...........

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Conditions

Heard on the radio that Ft Walton had to close a beach for a couple of hours because of bull sharks, but they reopened it the same day. I haven't heard of any closures in GS or OB. Just remember to pay attention to your surroundings. Stay out of the water at dawn and at dusk.

Oh yeah, and don't look like a seal....

Georgia
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Conditions

SpadivaMO

Where is your timeshare? We can't find one in the GS/OB area that has 1BR or studio units that is also right on the beach.

Just 2 of us and we don't need a big unit, but do want it right on the beach with a direct Gulf view.

Thanks--

FLORIDA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Conditions

Just wondering if anyone who frequents Gulf Shores would know this. We went there July 14-21. One morning I was sitting on the balcony. I looked out and saw a fishing boat and a few kayakers. Then I noticed a few dolphins jump and about 1/2way between the boat and the kayakers I saw a long dark object moving slowly thru the water. It eventually went right below the kayakers and went on. I got my family thinking I was seeing things and we noticed there was about 6 of them. We are still wondering what they could have been. Nobody panicked and the rest of the day was eventless. Just wondering if anyone knew or saw something like this before.

Thanks,

Brandie

Get answers to your questions about Orange Beach